So, Patraeus is wrong too?

Petraeus, who stressed that he had not yet endorsed a plan from the Afghan command to send an additional 40,000 troops, pushed back against comparisons between this war and Vietnam. He even rejected comparisons between Afghanistan and Iraq - where he personally oversaw the surge of U.S. forces in 2006 and 2007.

"I'm much more sensitive to resist the notion that what worked in Iraq will work in Afghanistan," he told the crowd.

He doesn't know if its the right thing either...

Petraeus backed up the Obama administration on several occasions for its handling of the war, complimenting the president for the amount of time and energy he has devoted to the issue as well as Vice President Joseph Biden for visiting the troops abroad.

He also announced that there will be two additional three-hour consultation sessions between the president and his military advisers in the next week.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Interviewer Brian Williams of NBC News asked Petraeus right off the bat what the purpose was of being in Afghanistan, and what the definition of success would be in that war.

The general said that the United States needed "to make sure [the country] does not become a sanctuary for Al Qaeda and other transnational terrorists." And he said victory would resemble a situation similar to that in Iraq, "in which we can hand off to Afghans responsibility for security and for governance, keeping in mind very much that Afghanistan is not Iraq. It has completely different context to it, if you will, a very different history, very different levels of resources, and so forth."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sorry, but is this man even in Afganistan? If he is not in theater than how would he know what is needed and what is not? The same arguement I have for our president. If the commander of operations in theater says something is needed that does not mean it needs to be debated and sat on by those not there who have no idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sweet you're saying we don't need more troops in Afganistan?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Link?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

I'm saying the same I said all along, NO knee jerk reactions! and many of you ladies have said you respect Patraeus so much you'd vote for him if he ran for POTUS, and he agrees with the current POTUS on MOST things. Including foreign policy. He has the experience that I would trust and he isn't sold on more troops yet...

so I am asking, ALL the horrible names that were caleed of POTUS for not making a quick decision, are you going to call them to General Patraeus? Is he a troops killer too? If nothing else you should look at your hatred for the MAN and deal with those issues. It's proof to me that there is nothing but partisan opposition coming from most of the women on here
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yeah because you're anything BUT partisan yourself there Sweet.

I've called Obama no names or anything else insulting, but I think he should first and foremost listen to the men on the ground in the situation everyday because they're the ones who know what they need to get the job done. Despite the popular belief service personnel are not ignorant.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sorry, but is this man even in Afganistan?

Gen. David Petraeus, who as head of U.S. Central Command makes the final military decision on McChrystal's request, said the strategy is being reassessed and no decision on additional troops has been made. "I have not yet endorsed the resources" requested by McChrystal, Petraeus said while speaking at an event in Washington

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/01/afghanistan.strategy/index.html?eref=rss_latest

http://washingtonindependent.com/11381/petraeus

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09275/1002492-82.stm?cmpid=nationworld.xml

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yeah because you're anything BUT partisan yourself there Sweet. I've called Obama no names or anything else insulting, but I think he should first and foremost listen to the men on the ground in the situation everyday because they're the ones who know what they need to get the job done. Despite the popular belief service personnel are not ignorant.

Gen. David Petraeus, who as head of U.S. Central Command makes the final military decision on McChrystal's request...and it may be that they do send them, but it shouldn't be made as an overnight decision. One mans report needs to be fleshed out, not immediately acted on

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• If they had started looking into it as soon as his report had been filed instead of hemming and hawing about it I would not have said anything, but they didn't. They waited until after the formal request had been filed, making it look like McChrystal was having to beg for reinforcements.

I don't want it done unless it's absolutely necessary either, trust me I wouldn't wish combat deployments on any other wife or family members! But if it's what is needed to keep prevent even one more American from dying in this war then it doesn't need to be kept til the last possible second either!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

Are you accusing General Patraeus of playing politics with this decision? I think he needs all the facts. We rushed onto Iraq on intel as well.....remember how that turned out?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009