question about the cheerleaders in TN who can't use religious banners

I came across a news article yesterday saying at today's game the stands will be filled with religious messages in the way of signs and t-shirts. One student said to bring a sign supporting who ever you want even the pasta monster.

The question, "what if it was sign supporting another God ?" has been answered. They are not only accepting other religions but encouraging it. However, I am not sure I understand the demographics.

These are students representing their school at a school function on school property. How is this religious display happening? Why is it ok in the stands, which are part of the stadium that is funded by federal dollars, but not the field? Really whats the difference?Students are still on land bought by the government and the students are representing the school. Could these students be subject to fines if they cross over the stands an onto the field?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• These are students representing their school at a school function on school property. How is this religious display happening?

These are not students representing their schools, these are spectators. The only students representing the school at that event are the team, the cheerleaders and the band.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am not sure I understand how you figure that NP,. The reason I say that is because I know students have been disciplined by the school (as in suspension) for their behavior at school functions including games. The code of conduct at my HS said remember we are representatives of the school ans our behavior should reflect a positive attitude towards the school. So we are representatives when the school wants us to be but not at other times?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My HS was able to give us a list of rules such as we can't sing the goodbye song or hold up newspapers when the other team was announced. The students are subject to the rules and discipline at school functions as they are during school hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I wonder how open they'd be if someone went and held up a sign that said "There is no god." LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't even understand this need to represent religion at a stupid football game anyway. It's ridiculous.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "I wonder how open they'd be if someone went and held up a sign that said "There is no god." LOL "

Thats what I was wondering. They want to embrace all religions, but what about ppl who don't believe in any God? Can they be represented at this football game turned church service?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The reason I say that is because I know students have been disciplined by the school (as in suspension) for their behavior at school functions including games. The code of conduct at my HS said remember we are representatives of the school ans our behavior should reflect a positive attitude towards the school. So we are representatives when the school wants us to be but not at other times?

Legally, the school cannot be sued for you being an obnoxious twit who shoves their religion on people in the stands. They can be grossly embarrassed by your not being raised right and make their own policies to avoid the embarrassment. If their cheerleaders in their uniforms do it they CAN be sued. That is the difference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The difference is in the uniform. When a cheerleader/football player/ band member/ etc puts on their uniform for the school they become an ambassador for that school. A student coming to the game to watch is not an ambassador. They are just a student coming to a game. School dress codes and codes of conduct still apply to those in school uniforms but not those in the stands.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• As a christian I do not really like the idea that the audience of the games are using the school games for displaying their personal beliefs, I think it only robs attention away from the game and the whole concept that they are suppose to be there to support team and game members. The audience is not suppose to be the spotlight, therefore I just do not agree with using the audience for purpose displaying your religious beliefs.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 12:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The students also have freedom of speech and expression. You can't force them to pretend that they don't believe in God by outlawing all reigious content.
    Anonymous