Is it ok for my son to eat a whole apple?

We were at my mom's house and he was playing with an apple like a ball. He just picked it up and took a bite, then another and another. He seems to be doing fine with the skin and chewing. He has 5 1/2 teeth, and he chews with his front. Would it be ok for me to just give him a whole apple to eat from now on? He really loves it.

(he's 13 months)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sure it is, just watch he doesn't choke on the skin because on some apples they are tougher, or just peel it,

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i would just watch him,my little one choked(or got the skin stuck to her top mouth and was gaging.so i have to peel em for her.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Chop it up real good and make it a little soft, peel also and let the child eat what they want of it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with the others, watch to make sure he does not choke on the skin. For my little one I peel and slice the apple (he is 3 and does not like the skin).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• as long as he can chew it ok then sure, but supervise him because my 2 yr old was chocking on the skin she had actually took it out of her mouth herself.. i think it would be best peeled.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Watch and make sure he doesn't have loose stools.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My daughter actually loves apple peel, but we found that out by mistake. She has a cousin that is a little older than her. They were sitting at the table and he had an apple. I was making her a plate and she reached over and grabbed his apple and took a bite. She has never had a problem with it, but a lot of children do. With my son, I would just peel a whole apple and let him eat it that way. Both of my kids teethed early so it was not hard for them to bite and chew. I would make sure you are nearby just in case, as you should always be when a toddler is eating, but I would imagine it would be fine if he handled it that well.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i think it's ok as long as you peel it and watch him while he's eating it but you should encorage eating it
    RIPzoemommy

Answer by RIPzoemommy at 10:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• if he is cutting teeth, then the apple feels wonderful to bite down on, skin and all. i just cut (am still cutting) wisdom teeth, so i can definitely sympathize!

like the others said, just don't leave him alone with it. incase he gets too big a hunk and can't handle it.

letting them have whole fruits like that, encourages them to explore textures that they would otherwise not be exposed to- food doesn't naturally come from a jar, or all chopped up, and pulverized. it tastes different when its chopped up too... he'll be more likely to try new things if he isn't afraid of texture.

BTW, if he CAN handle the skin, leave it on- thats where the majority of the nutrients are.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I'm sure it's fine. if he does. I see no problem there.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2009