Why is Whooping Cough making a comeback?

Is it because parents aren't vaccinating their kids, or because doctors/schools/parents aren't pushing the booster shots? (I think the booster is every 10 years...)

We've had a few cases of it in our local school, and I'd personally be worried if my kids weren't vaccinated.. Just wondering why all these illnesses are coming back!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I know that whooping cough goes through a natural cycle. I am not sure how many years this spans over and don't have the info to hand right now. This natural cycle occurs regardless of vaccination.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It's never gone away. Kids can get it even if they have had the immunizations. Maybe it doesn't go away because we have schools and day care centers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• All these Jackass parents not immunizing. When a child too young for shots gets ill with it, due to exposure from one who has "chosen" not too, their azz should be sued.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Less people vaccinating for it. In some areas, the vaccination rate is as low as 60%. If you live in a border town, there tends to be more outbreaks too, because of Mexicans, both legal and illegal, that haven't been vaccinated.
    Anonymous

• I was vaccinated for it, boosters and all, yet I still developed whooping cough a few years back - It was horrible and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially a child. The doc called my case "atypical pertussis" because I got the whooping cough as an adult, and said that I probably got it because I was in college and exposed to all those germy teens...lol.
    Anonymous

• Somebody referred to vaccination as immunisation up there. Even the CDC says one doesn't guarantee another. It's VACCINATION. Vaccination doesn't always = immunity.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Vaccinations do not fully protect. In fact someof the vaccinations CAUSE the disease. case in point, Polio. There hasn't been a wild case of polio since 1973 therefor the vaccinations CAUSED the disease.
    Sorry but don't blame us non-vaccing parents.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• There was an outbreak a few years ago in our area. Kids had it bad enough to be hospitalized, others were able to stay home. I'll let you figure you which were vaccinated, which were not.

If there is an outbreak of any disease (for which there is a vaccine) here, non-vaccinated kids are not allowed to attend school until the outbreak is over.

And yes, I can blame non-vaccinating parents for the spread of a disease. Vaccinations help prevent the disease and help the kid have a lesser case if it is contracted. There is an outbreak, my kid is protected somewhat...being around a non-vaccinated kid doubles his chance of catching a light case. Your kid isn't safe because everyone else is vaccinated. It doesn't work that way.

(obviously there are those who can't vaccinate because of medical issues)
    Anonymous

• It might be because we've been vaccinating for so long that the little buggers have mutated & developed into a strain that is vaccine-resistant.
    Anonymous

• dont call it a come back. its been here for years! rockin its peers and putting suckas in fear, making the tears rain down like a MON-soon!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 7:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2009