Lactose intolerant? Food allergy? What??

My oldest is 6, and a lot of times when he eats ANYTHING, he gets a stomach ache. I have no clue what that's about... I have him drinking regular milk (lactose free is sooo expensive), too. The problem is that his #2s are always runny & resemble diarrhea.. I don't know the last time he's had a solid poop. (Sorry if this is TMI!)

Is this a food allergy? Should I give him Lactaid, lactose free milk, or what? Or should I take him to the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that it's a dairy issue? She said he gets a tummy ache when he eats *anything* not just dairy.

OP I'd recommend talk to the pedi about getting allergy tests and tests to rule out any digestive problems. He shouldn't always have a tummy ache so ask the doc for ways to make him better and get to the bottom of it before it gets worse.
    Anonymous

• I would take him to the doctor and discuss your concerns with him.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• sounds like lactose intolerance to me. i am lactose intolerant and it is no fun at all. so i feel for your kid there. rumble rumble. my youngest has a severe allergy to any dairy that causes asthma symptoms and immediate throwing up so I would say that's not it. my other 2 are allergic to milk also, one it give eczema and the other brings on milder asthma symptoms. it varies for everyone with either the allergy or the intolerance.
    try soymilk or almond milk, or even the lactaid tablets. it's better than having an accident somewhere and the child being miserable. the cost of lactose free milk or even parmalat is worth every dime to not have to deal with the stomach upsets.
    try omitting all dairy from his diet, then start reintroducing things like cheese or baked goods and see if it gets better. he may have a food allergy not related to dairy at all. like wheat.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Cow's milk is for baby cows. He doesn't need to drink cows milk. You might try dairy free for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Then try letting him have up to 1 serving a day of milk products - cheese in foods, yogurt. Only things he likes and misses. He can get calcium from calcium fortified OJ or other juice, from other foods, or from vitamins.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• take him to the doc for recommendations. a co-workers daughter had diahrrea for a while and they just found out she's got celiacs diesea (glutten/wheat intollerance)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Stop giving him diary, it is causing him pain. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• poor kid. quit giving him milk. yeah lactaid is more expensive but do you want him to suffer? I am lactose intolerant. I only buy those lactaid pills (but in generic verison so they aren't that expensive) they are chewable too. you could try that...or just not push milk on him at all unless he just really really likes it. I never drank milk as a child & i'm not unhealthy because of it.
    Anonymous

• oh or try soy milk. it comes in flavors & isnt much more expensive then real milk.
    Anonymous

• I'm with reply #8 - who says it's the milk if he's getting that with everything? Without more details, it really really sounds like it could be celiac disease (I know multiple, unrelated people who have it and diarrhea after every meal was a common symptom). Take all foods containing gluten out of his diet and see what happens.
    Anonymous

• Why does he need to have milk at all? Soy milk is bad for you as well...and I would say a lot worse than cow's milk.

Cut out dairy completely. For fat give him avocado/nuts and make sure he is eating plenty of fruits and greens.

If you must give him milk try nut or rice milks.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2009