Gay Marriage - Leagal & Religious

I know that many of you say Gay Marriage is against your religious beliefs and therefore shouldn't be legal. However, Laws in this country are not made because of religious beliefs. If they were we would have a very confusing (or even more confusing) legal system... Because from religion to religion beliefs are obviously different.

So, why can't we simply seperate the two? I know a good many people that believe they are seperate already. So why not make it official? Allow LEGAL marriage to be just that, and religious marriage to be before God(s). If you want to be legally married just go pay your $35 for a license and get all the legal perks to marriage... Or have your religious cerimony and get married in the eyes of your God... Or do both. But keep they seperate. Because I can agree that if you are Gay and in a religion that teaches it's wrong, you shouldn't assume that your marriage would be okay - cont...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• However for those of us that are in religions that agree with gay marriage or those with no religion, why should we be forced to live by the rules and regulations of another faith?

If we seperate the two, then there is no reason for this continued argument...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• People are afraid that if it becomes legal, somehow their churches will be forced to accept this and perform gay marriages. Which I'm not sure how that could happen.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• SabrinaMBowen, your argument makes so much sense, but the problem arises when our govt officials that make these laws pass on their religious thoughts into them with no basis to what the marriage act should be about.

Answer by older at 11:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Well I'm a frim believer that the governement shouldn't be involved in marriage at all... period. I know for things like taxes and stuff there may be benefits, but I truly don't think that I should have to have some stupid piece of paper to say I'm married. I think the government should butt out and then anyone could get married in whatever way they want (handfasting, marriage in a church, etc). A gay couple wouln't attend a church that was against tier relationship anyway, so they would find a place where they are welcomed and marry there. There are Christian denominations that do approve of gay marriage. But that's JMHO because I don't want the government butting into much of my life at all.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I understand that older... However, I don't see why this would be such a difficult thing to do. Many of the "Anti-Gay Marriage" politicians have said that they would be okay with "Civil Unions." So, what I am saying is instead of only allowing Gay's to have Civil Unions and Everyone else have Civil or Religious Marriage... Why not allow anyone to have a Civil Union/Marriage (with equal rights to marriage) and Keep the religious aspect separate... As it should be... At this point Gay Marriage is not legal here in PA. But I know many that are Handfasted... (Pagan religious "marriage"). So, why can't we just agree to disagree and allow the legal aspects and religious to be separate?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sabrina, I couldn't agree more!

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• anime_mom619 ~ I agree 100%. We never would have gotten Legally married because it wasn't something that was really important to us. BUT, I got pregnant, and should something happen, I didn't want my mother having any rights over my medical care. Personally, I haven't seen any tax benefits... But medical benefits are different. IF anything would ever happen to me, I know my husband would make the best dicision for ME, where my mother would do what is best for HER... So, we got married.

There was a case here a year or so ago, where a gay man and his partner had been together for 25 years. But no married because it's not legal. That man was in an accident. The medical disitions did not fall on his partner of 25 years but on his mother that hadn't spoken to him in over 20 years... To me, this is a great injustice. His partner knew what he wanted, his mother didn't know him or what he would have wanted.. That shouldn't happen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "There was a case here a year or so ago, where a gay man and his partner had been together for 25 years. But no married because it's not legal. That man was in an accident. The medical disitions did not fall on his partner of 25 years but on his mother that hadn't spoken to him in over 20 years... To me, this is a great injustice. His partner knew what he wanted, his mother didn't know him or what he would have wanted.. That shouldn't happen"

THat disgusts me on so many levels! That poor man!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "People are afraid that if it becomes legal, somehow their churches will be forced to accept this and perform gay marriages. Which I'm not sure how that could happen."

And this is exactly why I think we need to stop counting religious marriages as legal and visa versa... Keep them 100% seperate! Then there can never be a church or religious group feel as if they are being forced to go against their beliefs. And those of us that have different beleifs wouldn't have to follow the beliefs of religions we don't agree with...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• IA with you Sabrina. I think they should be seperate for everyone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009