For those of you who are actually stepchildren....

does the expression "I feel like the stepchild" ever offend you? I've heard it used so many times when someone is trying to say they feel left out, or they nothing ever goes their way. You know, used in a negative manner. Then I wonder, what if they said it to someone who actually is a stepchild and was very loved when they grew up, would it offend them? Are there any other expressions that you find offensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• So, I misread your title, but after reading your question I have to tell you a story. My oldest sister is my half sister. We have the same mother. However, her father is a real piece of work and she was raised by my dad. So she always called my dad and never mentioned her dad unless it was to close friends that wanted to know where went for 6 weeks every summer. One time, we had some of her friends at the house and one of them said something to the effect of "beat him like a red headed step child" then got really embarrassed and apologized to both my sister and my dad. My sister said "I am not a step child. I just happen to have a sperm donor and a daddy."
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am a blond and I dont get offended by blond jokes. I have friends without dads that dont get offended by the word bastard. I think that if ppl get offended over an expression then they maybe reading to far into it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't think many people I know who love their step-families consider themselves to be steps. My DH's family is a whole mix of yours, mine and ours, and none of them consider each other halves or steps. Even the halves on the other side who aren't technically related are treated the same (his half-sister's half-brother that has no relation at all to my DH is still my son's uncle as far as we're concerned).

In my own experience, being "treated like a stepchild" quite nicely describes my relationship with my stepmother, who always had more time and attention to spare for her nieces and nephews than my family, even if it meant putting my dad in the situation where he had to miss out on time with his grandson, too. She'd go as far as screening calls and not letting him know we were in town so he wouldn't skip out on events with "her" family.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Retarded! I don't have kids with delays thank God, but I think the term retarded especially when used as a general way of describing something or someone in a negative manner is really offensive.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree, retarded is not a good way to describe anything or anyone. Many people say it without thinking though and its hard to faul ppl who dont use their brains !
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Nah, it doesn't offend me at all. I actually have been through two stepparents EACH with my real parents. I've also had to deal with my parents dating people I disliked in the long term. BUT...I love my current stepmom. She's truly like a second mom to me, our relationship is effortless, and I consider her son my little brother. I've known him since he was 3, and he's 11 now, so he doesn't remember a time before me. I severely dislike my current stepfather. I could go on for days and days about the things he's done to my mom. Ugh. I also hated my first stepmom, the first woman my dad married after he and my mom divorced. She was truly the Evil Stepmother!

So I know how people feel when they say they feel like a stepchild. I've dealt with it since I was 5.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I also hate the therm retarded. I admit I am guilty of using the expression when I was in elem school but now I know better and it sounds awful to hear grown people use that word to describe something I'm sure can be described using a different word. I always think of this one brat on Bridezillas. She was 19 I think and was having some serious mood swings before her wedding and every time she got upset about something she would say it was "retarded." I'm sorry but the fact that she couldn't find a better term made it sound like she was the one with the mental problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Blond? SHOCKER!!!!
    Anonymous