breastfeeding

i have always breast fed my daughter, but lately (she is 5 mo) i feel like my milk is runing out or something? she never seems satisfied and gets frusterated after about 5 minutes of sucking. this was never a problem before. also, my boobs used to feel full and big and i could feel the milk 'letting down', but not anymore...what can i do to get my milk supply back up so we both arent frusterated and i dont have to start on formula?
oh..and if u use formula thats fine i dont have a problem with it i just prefer to BF my daughter. So i dont wanna hear it :)

dorie84

Asked by dorie84 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink plenty of water. Have you given her a bottle recently? My daughter preferred the bottle after I gave it to her and would get so frustrated breastfeeding. The milk comes out MUCH easier from a bottle. I refused to give her the bottle for the next couple of days, so she HAD to nurse. She eventually went back. Also, you or the baby could have thrush. They don't like to nurse then - is her tongue and mouth covered in white stuff? And last of all, it could just be an appetite increase. Keep nursing when she wants and see if it is easier in a couple of days. Those are all my ideas. I sure hope something helps!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• yea i have been pumping and feeding her a bottle of breast milk after she nurses because she gets so frusterated. but i absolutelky HATE pumping! and it is hard to find the time to do it with her during the day...
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Have you been pumping? I went through the same thing with my daughter around 5 mos, and it turns out she was weaning herself. I felt so guilty about using formula, but I had been misinformed. Definitely keep up with your fluids, and if you are able, pump between feedings to produce a greater supply. Typically, your supply will match your demand. But if your daughter is becoming frustrated after 5 minutes, your supply will compensate for it. With my daughter, I began exclusively pumping and bottle-feeding: half formula half BM until my supply was gone. Be sure you're still taking your post-natals and getting fluids and rest as often as possible. Good luck! Also, you can always call your lactation consultant- they have dozens of tips when it comes to these things.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It could be a growth spurt. My advice? Nurse on demand. Even if she just finished 10 mins ago. If you nurse on demand, and your baby is gaining weight, meeting milestones, and you are changing at least 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, she's getting plenty. Fussy baby, pump output, how your breasts feel, those don't mean a thing. Sounds like you are doing great so far, keep up the good work.

Don't offer a bottle after she nurses. Offer the breast again. This will tell your body to make more. If you do continue to use the bottle, it can cause supply problems.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with Krysta, just keep putting baby to breast. Doing the bottles after nursing can have the exact opposite effect that you want because there is no pump in the world that is as efficient as your baby. This is prime time for teething and she could be having a growth spurt or approaching a new milestone...all those things can make them fussier and nurse more often. Don't worry about feeling your letdowns, many mothers don't. I had oversupply with my kids and felt my letdowns up until around 6 months and then nothing, but I had plenty of milk for them all(and I have twins) so not to worry. Count diapers if you are worried, 4-5 sopping wets a day and poops vary child to child.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• -put her to breast more often
    -put warm washcloths on immediately before nursing
    -eat oatmeal daily
    -drink plenty of plain water at least 8-8oz of it
    -try not to be stressed
    -if she sleeps through the night pump or offer breast in the middle of the night at least once or twice
    -don't give up!
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It could be a growth spurt. My daughter has these same phases, where she just nibbles then gets mad and fussy.
    I wouldnt worry unless it didnt stop for weeks or something...
    I dont see why your supply would randomly decrease if youve been nursing for 5 months.
    good luck mama
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 3:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i just wrote a journal about this the other day http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1533189/Struggles_With_Breastfeeding

use an SNS at the end of feedings...i did give my baby some formula through myhomemade SNS but it really bulked up my supply...i had the same problem you are having and the SNS was the solution to it...also, drink mother's milk tea, take fenugreek and get more sleep...i noticed my breasts fill in a lot faster when i sleeping...good luck and keep breastfeeding...PM if you need more help or support
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 11:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2009