Should I let my child get Flu Mist for the regular flu?

I got papers the other day from my children's elementary school that they provide Flu Mist at no cost to those children whose parents consent. They have NEVER gotten flu shots or mists before and neither have I. We have also NEVER gotten the flu (and Lord help us that we never do). I was wondering what is your opinion and if you have any facts, articles about the effectiveness, necessity, etc. of it. TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Health

• My dd had the mist two weeks ago and all is good. When it comes to side effects that is. It is just as effective. Its your call.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The FluMist is a live virus and she can get a touch of the flu. When I was in the military, we would give FluMist during a holiday leave period so the students could have some recoup time. My daughter had a flu shot on Sunday (her first ever) because she was in the hospital. She had no problems. I also am not one for flu shots or FluMist, but with her condition, I think she needed one.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Flumist is a live virus vaccine, therfore, giving it the potential to infect your child or anyone your child comes into contact with the flu. It has a "shedding" period of over 20 days.
    Scroll down a little to see the info on Flumist:
    http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/Influenza/flufacts.aspx
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend it only because Flu Mist uses the live virus flu bug to trigger an immune system response so the chances of your child actually contracting the flu (and giving it to the rest of your family) are much higher. The flu shot uses a deactivated / deconstructed form of flu virus to elicit an immune system response so I'd opt for that instead if you're going to get flu shots. You can ask for the mercury free shot if you're concerned about the trace amounts of mercury found in some flu shots. Keep in mind that the trace amount of mercury found in an adult sized dose of the flu shot is roughly equivalent to the same amount of mercury found in 1 can of tuna fish. Hope this helps.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• FTR, we don't do flu shots either. The information I just typed out came from the Dr. Sears vaccine book. The information about mercury content vs. mercury content in seafood comes from various websites that post information about the toxic products often found in seafood.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my son had the flu mist about a month ago. He is fine. he didn't get sick after it. he is 3.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 9:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• daniel has always gotten the flu mist,never any flu/sdie effects.
    momtoblair

Answer by momtoblair at 9:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My two boys have gotten the Flu Mist for the past two years with no problems.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 10:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I say if you think its ok then do it..but asking here is only going to get you two kinds of answers..one informatave, unbias, honest opinions and the other being from anti vaccination moms bashing you for even considering poisoning your kid. which ever you choose, good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i took my 2 year old in to get the flu mist in the morning by the afternoon she had a high fever, she wasnt eating very much. it all started from there. that night i called her doctor, she said to take her in to get tested for the flu, they couldnt test her cause she had the mist. since she had pnemonia twice in 1 year they put her on breathing treatments cause she had a cough, she is still on them as we speak. they also treated her with tamiflu for 7 days. she will not get the flu mist next year. as for my 7 year old she cant get the flu mist now because there is a chance she can get my 2 year old sick again. they are also out of the flu shot :( they will not be getting the h1n1 flu shot(doctor said not to)
    BERUMEN

Answer by BERUMEN at 1:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2009