Teens and Curfew Excuses

What are the most common -- or ridiculous -- excuses your teen has given you for missing curfew? I'm sure you've heard some real good ones lately :)

Cafe Cynthia

Asked by Cafe Cynthia at 11:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I didn't have my watch ( we didn't have cel's in my day )
    I was with my friend and didnt realize what time it was
    the clock as billys house must have been wrong cause I KNOW I left on time to get home
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• They don't. They're good about being home 5-10 minutes early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "Somebody took my car"...which honest to God happened to me, but my mom didn't want to hear it! LOL
    kristielee79

Answer by kristielee79 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Mine is only 14 so we pick her up! But it should be interesting when the time comes she is on her own more haha
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 12:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I dont have teens yet, but my mom never gave me a curfew really. She said 12 but at like 11:30 would tell me if I wanted to stay I could. The one time I was actually not told that my boyfrined and I fell asleep on the floor watching a movie. His mom called my mom and I just went home the next morning.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I didn't realize the movie would get out so late ummm it started at 10:20 ummmmm they don't tell you when it is over ummmm So we explained that we were sorry it turned out she wasn't ready to go out with friends on her own.That this was her chance do it again and she would be hanging with mom and dad on Sat. nights.That was two yrs ago and whether with friends or boy friend she got her self home on time.She is number 2 ,number 1 pulled it also and I expect 3& 4 will also.You would think they would learn from watching the older ones get in trouble but nooo lol

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Both of my boys broke curfew ONCE - my rule - you're grounded for 1 day for every minute you're late. There were no exceptions, saving a real emergency. The first time they had to serve 15 days for being 15 minutes late - it NEVER happened again. Worst excuse I got - "Mom, I thought I curfew didn't apply on Sunday nights" - my answer "Well, 15 days from now you will KNOW for sure when your curfew applies, won't you?" - punishment handed out and followed through - no more missed curfews and no more stupid excuses.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My now 33 yr. old DD went to a party,when she was 17, I didn't wait for her to come home with a story, I went to the party with my nightclothes on,and told the DJ to stop the music,I needed my daughter, he stopped the music,cut on the lights,announced her name,he said Madam,thank you so much,if more parents would do this ,our youth would be better.My DD told me how embarrassed she was, I told her,I was more embarrassed and hurt and sad,when a parent is home worrying if,their child is okay,yes,that child should be punished for breaking curfew.my DD never broke curfew again,and since she always told her younger sisters this story,they never broke curfew either. I have been told by some parents that I went over-board,but,when you think of all the kids who went out and didn't return home due car accidents, drugs, someone snatching them, I think I should have done more.

Anonymous

• My DD curfew was at 10pm, she came home at 1030 pm, she said,"oh, I meant to ask you could I stay out an extra 1/2 hour. She really thought that made a difference. I told her she was suppose to ask me that before she left,not when she returned home.
    Anonymous

• Didn't have my watch and lost track of time.or I'm sorry I forgot.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2009