What do you do when..........

you see people on the street and they ask you for money for food or they say they ran out of gas. I always feel bad for these people that are asking for money. If they ask for money for food I always offer them some food from the nearest hamburger stand. I never give them money because I always think they are going to go buy booze or drugs. How do you feel about this and what do you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I may not be the worst off person in the world, and I'm definately not begging for food, but I work my @ss off to be able to provide for me and my DD, I work 40 hours a week and I go to school so that I can get a better job and not have to stress about money. I can't AFFORD to give them money. I'm with you, though, I'll go buy a dollar burger at McDonalds or Burger King, but I don't ever stop when I don't have my SO with me, just for the safety of myself and my DD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I feel bad but I dont usually give them money. I dont usually have extra to give out, we are barely surviving ourselves and having cash on hand is rare.

I just usually tell them I have nothing but I get approached at stores every time Im there. I am also a bit on guard as I usually with my 3 small boys and I live in a town known for crime so I never know why someone comes up behind me til I turn around but it freaks me out.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Depends on the mood I'm in. If I am feeling charitable, I might give them my extra change. Some days though, I'm thinking "I have kids to feed, what makes you think I can afford to feed you too!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I rarely ever give them money. One reason is because I hardly ever carry cash (I use my debit cards for everything because it's easier to watch where the money is going, and safer). So, normally what I do is every few weeks go to a local grocery store and buy a few $20-$30 gift cards and keep them in my glove box and hand them out when I see someone struggling. I know they could still buy alcohol with the gift cards (which no, I'm not ok with) but at least they can't buy drugs and at least they can buy FOOD not other random things.
    KalistaW

Answer by KalistaW at 11:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• We get a lot of people standing on street corners with signs asking for money, but I never give them money. Instead, I keep a box of granola or fruit bars in my glove box and hand one to them. That way, if they are hungry they will have at least a little something to eat.
    Most of these people are frauds, though, who have plenty of money and benefits and dress down just to get extra free money.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009