Waking baby to feed?

Do you wake your newborn baby to feed during the day and night or wait until they are awake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh heavens NO, i'm a firm believer in to NOT wake a sleeping baby lol. When my kids were hungary, they let me know
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding and your baby is young you may need to wake the baby to nurse every 3-4 hours. You don't want the baby to go too long. The baby needs to eat and your breasts need stimulation.

If the baby is sleeping through the night you can't count on breastfeeding for birth control.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Breast feeding is NOT birth control anyways, no matter how much or how little you bf
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• No I always let my daughter wake on her own, since sleep is vital in their growth process I never disturbed her.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Awesome thanx! And bf for birth control haha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• This is an excellent question. I'm a nurse in L&D and I can only tell you that every baby is different. If your new baby is already sleeping through the night, you belong to an elite group of very rare and lucky mommas. There are times, particularly during the day, that you should wake a newborn (up to 6 mos) to feed.

A. After receiving any vaccinations (it can often tire them out unneccesarily, but after 3-4 hours definitely give them a poke and make sure they are alright.)
    B. If the baby is ill. Ill infants tend to try to sleep it off, but the nutrition in your BM is very important to this process.
    C. If you are swelling and bursting with milk, and if you're baby is a sound sleeper, many women try "sleep-nursing" which allows the baby to eat, burp, and fall back asleep comfortably.

It's your choice, I have never believed there was a medical reason to disturb a sleeping baby over 6 months old. Hope this helped!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Also, if you are wondering if babies need to eat on the hour on a schedule, the answer is no. True, a baby will let you know when he/she is hungry and if they miss a feeding, its not a reason to panic.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• At night, no. Occasionally during the day I will if it's been over 3 hours since she last ate and one of my boobs is getting really uncomfortable. Most of the time, though, she will wake herself up to eat.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• No, I did not wake any of them (I have 4 boys)
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i was told by the nurse after i had my daughter that if she goes 4 hours without eating i should wake her up to feed so her blood pressure doesnt drop
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 6:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2009