have u ever had this happen?

i have had my dog for 4 years she is a yorkie and has always been the center of a ttention. she is well mannered and i love her very much! i had a child in april and ever since then my dog acts so different. she put her ears back whenevr anyone is around and gets low to the ground and kind of scoots, like she is abused. she has peed on the ups man, my landlord, the couch, and the floor. she barks like crzy anytime she hears any unfamiliar noise. she jumped in the mail mans car and got on his lap. i love her so much but i dont know what to do. the peeing and the ascting like she is abused part is not only embarresing, but it is very frusteating. i know she doesnt get as much attention, but we really do try and give her her own special time every day. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pets

• She needs doggy xanax, or someting to chill her out. She just can't cope with the huge change that has happened, I'd try to take her for walks more often and try giving her a new toy once in awhile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I adopted year old mix breed from the shelter and we had her about two years before I had my first child. When my son came home you would have thought I shot my dog, she would not move from the kitchen rug for two weeks(except go out and eat), and she piddled all over if you talked to her for like almost a year before she realized she was not getting replaced. Dogs don't take change well, if she is not agressive toward the baby, I would include her for floor play and show her the baby can be her playmate.(pretend that the baby is throwing her dogtoys and treats.
    Ash3807

Answer by Ash3807 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with Ash, your dog is acting protective as she knows this new baby is important but the dog is also feeling like she is being replaced and probably acting out to fight for her place. I do think you should interact the doggy with the baby but SUPERVISED! Never leave ANY dog with an infant unsupervised. Keep your doggy involved in family activities and re-train and teach your dog behaviors that are and are not acceptable. I think your doggy will come around.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 12:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Dogs don't have human emotions, because they're not humans. Just make sure you take her on plenty of walks (at least 45 minutes a day, yes she's small, but she has legs for a reason) and don't feel sorry for her. She's spent her whole life being the alpha, and now there's this new little person who is more important than her; it might take a while for her to get over it.
    My 70lb boxer/pit had a change in temperament when my DD was born; he won't let anyone near us unless he knows them or I tell him it's okay. He doesn't like to go near my DD when she's laying on her mat on the floor, and he won't go near her voluntarily (she's so small, and he's so...not small), but as soon as she cries, he's up and looking for her to make sure she's okay.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It sounds like she may be unsure of her place in the pack now that the baby is there. She definantly needs to be under the baby in the pack but you can do things to help her gain confidense. I would get her out into as many situations as you can to socialize her. When she is barking out of fear or acting afraid do not pick her up or pet her because what you are telling her is " Good Dog, I like this behavior" even when that is not what you are trying to do. It also sounds like she is a submissive dog and when she pees like that it is called submissive peeing. Dogs will do this when they are excited, nervous, when people are standing over them(domanant posture) or they hear a raised voice. When she does this i would ingnore that behavior because the peeing will eventually stop. I would also work on her training, teach her to sit when she sees people instead of what she is doing now.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My yorkie is 13 1/2. She's unsure of her place now that the baby is taking up most of your time. Get her a companion. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm on my 2nd black lab. They just love each other. My yorkie is the alpha dog. He loves to "train" the other one.

You don't have to get a puppy. Think about a shelter dog. Labs are very gentle & loving animals.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• SarahLeeMorgan "Dogs don't have human emotions, because they're not humans."

Dogs do experience the same emotions that we do. Dogs get depressed, stressed, afraid, happy, angry, unsure, loving, nuturing, etc....
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2009