Vaccine question...

My son has his 2 month checkup in a few days and I know we are supposed to start his vaccinations then. I am really wary about this for a number of reasons and have decided that I only want him to get the mandatory vaccinations needed in Indiana and that's it. I also want to spread them out more instead of blasting him full of all this crap in a few short months. Has anyone else done something similar? What was your plan and how did it work out? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it was hard for me to find a doctor who agreed with my philosophy on vaccines...there are a FEW that i MIGHT get our son later on, after 3 years...in japan they wait 3 years to start vaccines because they believe a toddler is stronger to fight off the vaccines than a baby is...my doc admitted that the polio vaccine completely unneccesary now and that whooping cough is really the only SERIOUS illness that they vaccinate for...serious as in babies actually die from it...do as much research as you can and find a pediatrician who will work with you wishes...good luck
    Anonymous

• I am working with my doc to spread them out as well, but we are not starting until 6 months. That is when we feel that the child's immune system can take so many toxins as in found in the vaccinations. We have not decided on which ones we are going to start with, probably polio and tetnus, you can have them split up but need to get in touch with your doc before hand so they can special order them for you. They don't keep seperated vaccines just laying around. The way my mom did it was to start with the ones that "you cant come back from" like Polio and then add on top of that slowly. I hope this helped and good luck :)
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 12:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• There is no such thing as a "mandatory" vaccine.
    If you need information about what vaccines you want to give your son but you aren't sure right now then just wait.
    You can always give him whatever shots you decide on later. But you can NEVER take away an injection once it's been given.
    Do your research. :)

There are a couple of vaccine groups here on CM ...Educate Before Vaccinate is a good group for a mix of different ladies who made different choices.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• vaccines are mandatory due to the fact that we dont need any horrible plagues coming back. spread them out. you can do that. my dd is 3 and had all her shots. shes perfectly fine. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It's very common to delay vaccines, and to selectively vaccinate. You said "mandatory". It's not mandatory (by law) to give ANY vaccines, should you choose not to. It's a wise idea to research and decide what vaccines, if any, you'd like your child to receive, and on what time table. I strongly recommend The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. It's very informative.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2009