How can I get my two year old to eat different food?

My son is starting day care after staying with his grandmother since birth. I have to pack a lunch for him at day care, and I am wondering what are some good suggestions. Usually he eats chicken nuggets or pizza bites for lunch unless we go out to eat. I want him to start eating more diversified foods, but am scared that introducing him to the food somewhere he can't get something different will create much conflict. I don't even know where to begin. I have a week and a half until he starts, are there any foods that I could try that is easy to make at night and still be good for lunch the next day?

slwarren26

Asked by slwarren26 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• will they be able to keep food refrigerated or frozen if needed, and cook it for the lunch? if so, you could try fish sticks. do you always offer cooked veggies? my daughter will eat cooked veggies off my plate, but usually not her own. she'll eat raw veggies though usually- like baby carrots, green beans, and (this is only an every once in a while thing) potato when i'm cutting them up for dinner. you could make sandwiches with turkey, chicken, ham, or roast beef and cut them up into small pieces for him to easily hold. you can add cheese to the sandwiches, or cut them up into "sticks" (if you get block cheese) and put them in the bag on the side.
    honestly though, i wouldn't worry too much about giving him new foods while at the daycare for awhile- that way you know he's more likely to eat. i'd be introducing stuff at home for dinner and on weekends, where he's probably more comfortable.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Just put the stuff in that you want him to try, but also put in something you know he'll eat - tell them to first give him the new foods, and if he doesn't eat, give him the rest, and he'll likely eat the new foods once he has something familiar in his tummy. Or send along one new thing a day. But keep up with it. Eat all the same stuff at home with him at various meals. You have to just give him the stuff if you want him to try it.
    Anonymous