Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby daddys parental rights

Does my 5 month old sons father have any rights legally if he is not on the birth certificate? And if not, does that mean I have full legal/physical custody?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • No court papers stating custody, then no one has custody. if you both know he is the dad & sign papers saying that..then yes he has rights, If i was you I would talk with a lawyer sometimes they give free consultations. allowing him to see his son is the right thing to do ,unless he is dangerous. paying support & visitation are viewed as two different issues in court. Weather or not he pays if he can prove through a DNA test he's the dad then he will be allowed to visit the child.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 12:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • not really but if he wants he can take you to court and they will dna test him and then you willl have to go to court for custody/visitation rights....

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • He needs to get a paernity test if he isn't on the BC (he will have to anyway if you want child support), but if he pays then he can get rights.

    Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • He can certainly go to court for DNA testing and demand visitation / partial custody. Why don't you want him to pay child support?

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • maybe because some chicks aren't money-sucking ho bags who "accidentally" get pregnant and want not saying ALL are but i know a few.....maybe shes self-sufficient and doesn't want or need his money.....

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • I decided I didnt want him to pay child support because i dont want to share the baby. Plus does oregon even recognize joint custody if the childs parents were never married?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • Baby Daddy? " Child's father" ,would be the grown -up term for him. This is another example of the way young girls mess up their lives because they don't care about birth control and don't believe in being educated and independent and self-sufficient BEFORE having children. Education first, then marriage and then children.That's the way a grown up ,mature woman lives and she doesn't have to worry about the custody issues,etc, like you describe.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • what anon above me said.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • Child support is for children not the mothers. Not getting support hurts the child. If a man doesn't want a woman to get pregnant he can not have sex, use bc, or get snipped!

    Answer by Gailll at 12:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

  • I happen to have a college degree Anon. So it's not like I am uneducated. The only thing I skipped was getting married. But my sons father and I had been together for years before I got pregnant.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN