Care package ideas...

I need to be able to create one care package a month for my family's adopted soldier who is on active duty. I have not written him yet so I don't know what he likes but I would like to start with a nice care package along with our letter. I have never been involved in a program like this before and am very excited to be. What is a list of the most needed or just most appreciated items to send.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol - I just deleted the first part of my answer, because I just noticed that Izarejman already had what I was putting :-)

Send something silly and whimsical - a slinky, a goofy card, a little book of silly trivia, etc. My dh and his various units would always get a kick out of whatever silly thing I would put in there. For example, once, I sent him a card about how when you're stressed, get this snow globe with a nice winter scene, etc. When you opened it up, it said, next, get a hammer... I sent it with a gel filled rubber like snow globe and a rubber mallet that he could whack it with :-)

Baby / foot powder, sun screen, some blank cards for things like birthdays, etc, that he can mail back to family and stuff - it can be hard to get that sort of thing sometimes. Comic strips from your local paper. Purse sized packs of kleenex and hand sanitizer.

A letter from you, thanking him and asking what he'd like :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• im not sure but my husband just joined the army...thats a good question for me also
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have heard if you send items like crackers or cookies it is a good idea to pasckege tehm in a bag of popcorn. it is light packing material and they can munch on it. lol but I have no idea what to put in it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• stationary, pens, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, mens magazine, candy that will keep and maybe a small photo album for pics they may have or will take
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Single serving drink mixes like crystal light or kool aid are huge over there. So are packages of instant oatmeal, baby wipes, chap stick, hard candies like jolly ranchers or life savers. It's getting colder so soon you can send chocolate without it melting.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• also a journal or datebook to document their time there. A disposable camera to send pics to family would be nice too
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• sunscreen, lotion, chapstick....please send me a msg. i would love to get involved and id appreciate a legit comp to go through. thanks :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• How do you do something like that? Is there asite that you can "adopt a soilder"?
    IceMistress105

Answer by IceMistress105 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh, you can send phone cards, too - but be VERY careful with what ones you get - just because they SAY international, or that they can be used anywhere, doesn't mean that they can always be used from the phones on the various bases or ships around the world.

There have been many military loved ones who have learned this the hard way!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• If you are interested then you can write to Fort Bragg. n.c. email inquiries to: vicky.lee@us.army.mil

I'm sure there are others but this is the one we are doing.
    Anonymous