Afraid to leave my house

Does this category include mental health? I think I have some kind of social disorder or something. When I go out in public by myself I feel very nervous and uptight, my heart beats faster, I just want to go back home. If my husband or someone else close to me is with me I'm fine and could stay out all day, we could even be on opposite sides of the store and I'm fine just as long as they are there. One time I had to go somewhere by myself and I literally took the long way around just to travel on familiar roads, I feel panicky if I am driving down roads I've never been on before (but if someone else is driving I don't mind). I am a SAHM Mom so I am home during the day. When someone rings the doorbell I go and look to see who it is, my heart starts to race. If I don't know who it is I ignore it. I have no earthly reason to be afraid of answering my front door! I can't stand feeling this way! What does this sound like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Health

• I am like this too. I had my hormones checked and the doctor said for me it was perimenopause. He said anxiety is common with hormone issues. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You sound like you just may be being antisocial. I get like that sometimes where I dpnt want to be bothred with poutside people. Dont worry. Especially if you just had a baby, you may have a bit of PPD (which is normal)....Have you always been like this? What do you think has triggered this? If it gets worse or continues for more than you'd like--then seek some kind of prof help.......Just take care of yourself and God Bless....
    Anonymous

• Well i am 19 and I HAVE THIS ALSO. i swear.. the driving part is so me. ask anyone. omg i even try not to drive on the highways im so bad. if there is a way to get there without highway its better for me. wastes gas tho. i think im getting a little better. like i have a interview monday and its 30mins away have to take highway by myself. very nervous. its not just you!
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• its called agoraphobic.....you need counsiling...its is a anxiety issue...somthing must have giving you a anxiety attack while you were out and now your afraid.you have to think what you are afraid of????what reason is it that you dont want to go out???baby steps at the grocery store.first i would only go to the front of the store..second i would get all the groceries and put them at the very front of the carriage...there could be alot of reasons for this...i go to therapy...pm me if you want....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am the same way. I am glad you asked this and for the other replies.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to the club. Just learn what sets you off on one of these anxiety attacks and try to steer clear of the trigger. It takes some doing but you can do it. Tell friends and family to call before they come over so you know to expect the knock on the door. Put a No Soliciting notice outside somewhere so no one will come to sell anything. My family helps me out when I have to go out in public so no one gets close to me. Just read up on agoraphobia but remember it's merely a symptom and that you may have a more deep rooted disorder like many of us. See if you can get tested to see exactly what you are dealing with.
    Anonymous

• I agree with nana77500, i have been diagnosed with agoraphobia and i need medication and counseling to keep it under control. I would talk to your doctor about and tell them everything you are experiencing.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 3:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2009