have you known anyone who had a serious complication from combining the birth control pill with smoking?

I am just curious. I don't know anyone personally but I have had several people tell me of a friend or coworker or relative who had a serious problem from this. I'm wondering why anyone risks it also...? Anyone smoke and take BC? Don't you worry about the potential side effects? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A friend of mine had a stroke. She stopped smoking.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Nope, never heard of any of my friends or family having problems like that.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My aunt had a stroke, so she quit taking BC
    Anonymous

• i'm OP. my coworker's husband's coworker had a stroke and now her arm is paralyzed ? and i had a coworker whose sister died from combining the 2. blood clots i think it was :( i don't smoke or take BC but i know so many do both!
    Anonymous

• Yes, a friend of mine just had pulmonary embolisms (blood clots that originated in her leg and traveled to her lung. They could have been fatal, but she was in a hospital when it happened. Did you know that just being on the pill (even w/o being a smoker) puts you at risk for blood clots? I know a non-smoker who was hospitalized recently for that very thing. I like natural family planning - no chemicals that are dangerous for your body!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Did you know that just being on the pill (even w/o being a smoker) puts you at risk for blood clots? I know a non-smoker who was hospitalized recently for that very thing. I like natural family planning - no chemicals that are dangerous for your body!

yeah when i went on the pill when i was like 18, the nurse told me about the clots and how serious it was, and also that smoking increased the risk. i now use a kind of bad mix of NFP/condoms/pull-out. meaning i don't use any of them very well. lol. well we have a 2 year old and aren't too serious about preventing pregnancy at the moment. i stopped taking BC when i was about 20. decided i didn't want the hormones any more.

--OP
    Anonymous