help me with my job..... please!

i just work at a convenience store right now. i've only been there about 3 months. i requested about a weeks worth of time off. almost a month in advance. my boss didn't say anything to me about it. i wrote on the note that I knew it was a lot of time, but I needed it off. i was out of town. it was at the end of one week and the beginning of another. he didn't schedule me for any more days that week. i just called yesterday and got the run around from my area manager who happened to be there. my boss wouldn't even get on the phone. "he's on his way out"
i called back later and a sales assoc, i actually helped train who started after me answered. he said i wasn't on the schedule and it said to call another store for my schedule. so i did that. they said i am not on the schedule there either. i dont know what is going on! i only called in one day, well in advance, i had a family emergency. cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• i have gone into work on really short notice, like less than 2 hours, on my days off. i have pulled doubles when others were no calls no shows.

one of my problems here is i am not confrontational at all. just getting the nerve to call my boss and ask him why is putting my stomach in knots and making me want to puke. no way can i go down there and ask him in person! this is really upsetting me. it's not like i even really wanted to work there in the first place but i needed something part time.
    now i'm not getting any answers, and i'm afraid to push.

what should i do?
    i feel like if i don't keep trying to find out i will get fired....well they will say i quit because i didn't try harder. but what the heck is going on here?!?! why aren't they calling me. or texting me. that is how we seem to communicate more often than not. when i have texted my boss he didnt answer. when i called the store no one answered.
    Anonymous

• should i just make the jump and file for unemployment!?!?! lol
    for lack of scheduling/hours.
    because i didnt quit. and i havent been fired...that i know of..?
    Anonymous

• A week is a long time considering you just started working there. Sorry, just telling you the truth. You can't file for unemployment - you asked not to be put on the schedule - and they didn't. I say keep trying - you don't know what all is going on and I'm pretty sure the worst you're gonna get is the truth, which you may not like. They have the right to ask you to work anyhow - since you are not entitled to the time off.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with the OP. Most companies have a 90 day trial type thing to see how you are and if you are asking for time off, you might not last long
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 6:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well the 90 days is up now.  he could have worked me the other days in the week that weren't requested off. i had a legitimate reason for not being able to work. i think if he was going to have a problem with my asking for day's off he would have told me when i worked with him. before the days came and after i had asked.  mrsmilander do you agree with me? or the PP? sorry i guess just a little confused.  he had even told me after i first started there if i needed days off just put in a note for them...so i did. here i have the same q with some other answers.  cont...

Anonymous

• i also am self-employed and they knew that when i got hired. i try to schedule other things around this job but because he doesnt make the schedule till the last minute , if something is going on in my first job i will request those days off... how else am i going to make those two work at the same time
    Anonymous

• I think that you should file for unemployement

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• rkoloms, do you think I need to keep calling and trying to get through to someone? even if at the other store where i don't work, where they said i am supposed to check for hours and so far I am not on the schedule there, do I need to keep trying to find out...
    do i need some paper saying that i was fired or whatever to file for unemployment. i looked online today to see how to file and it asked if i was laid off, i quit, was fired or if it was for lack of hours... i was thinking on checking the lack of hours thing. cause that makes the most sense. i could have worked the rest of those days in the those two weeks. so the time i asked off could have been my normal days off for those weeks. that's why this is weird to me. and i don't know what else it could be. frustrating!
    Anonymous