What other pain meds are there besides an epi?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• demoral, statol, now these meds and the other types of them do not take away the pain at all, it will relax you and lessen the pain but it is still there also if you are within 1 hour of delievery they dont like to give statol because it does have an effect on the baby.
    Anonymous

• Endorphins.
    Water labor & birth.
    Movement/changing positions/upright birthing.
    I have all kinds of alternative risk-free suggestions! ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "they dont like to give statol because it does have an effect on the baby."

All these drugs go to baby.   The only way to avoid drugs getting to baby is to avoid drugs.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Nubane
    Anonymous

• none of the alternatives actually take all the pain away. i've given birth 6 times. One time I opted to get a shot of "something"...dotn recall the name of it but all it did was make me feel dizzy & weird & weak & it still hurt just as much..I just didnt care as much lol So really it was not what I expected. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Anonymous

• Op here:
    I've already had a natural birth so I know what to expect. I'm ok with the drugs not taking the pain completely away just to take the edge of. I can handle some pain. For some reason I'm getting extremely scared about the delivery this time.
    Anonymous

• you can do it! if you've had natural before, you know you can. it's normal to get nervous. i say avoid the meds because they introduce unnecessary risks. of course there are cases when i would probably take drugs, like if was in a crazy long intense labor, or sunny side up maybe, but i would avoid drugs otherwise. :)
    Anonymous

• "I'm ok with the drugs not taking the pain completely away just to take the edge of. I can handle some pain. For some reason I'm getting extremely scared about the delivery this time."

Did you have a hospital birth?   With an OB?   Did you try natural coping techniques?

There are many amazing ways to relieve the pain in labor.   Let me know if you'd like to know about some/want help.   You might look into having a birth doula help you, in person, for great labor support!

You can do it, you already have.   Now improve upon that!   Have natural (safe) AND comfy!!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I took 1/2 a dose of statol. Like a PP stated, it didnt take the pain away, but it helped me relax . I would do it again.
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2009