Eating Out with a 1 year old...

We went out to eat last night, and my 1 year old daughter had a plate of eggs and 1 pancake that I chopped up. She made the biggest mess, b/c she is learning to feed herself. She mostly uses her hands, holds her spoon in one and eats with the other, but she tries. There was such a mess around her, the table, and floor! This is my first child so I don't know what to do about letting 1 year old feed herself in a public restraunt. I need tips, and suggestions on how you handle your little one when you go out to eat.

MommaRox4683

Asked by MommaRox4683 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 16 month old feeds her self,i give her all kinds of things to eat,we make sure to go to buffets places. i make her a plate of a wide varitiy. if u want u can take a blanket to lay under her to help.we dont do that though.and an extra change of clothes. we let her make a mess,and we try to clean up as much as possilable.it is fun leting them try new foods
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• If my children are learning to feed themselves, I don't change that practice in public. If my child has made a terrible mess I: Apologize to the server, tidy up a bit myself, and leave a nice tip to compensate for the mess.
    Anonymous

• Another suggestion is to eat at kid friendly restaurants. Bob Evans has an affordable yet extensive kids' menu (not limited to just grilled cheese and chicken fingers). No one there (servers or other customers) has ever made negative comments about kids being messy or loud.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree, stick with family friendly places. And if your child makes a mess, try and clean a little bit. I don't mean wipe the table down and carry the dishes to the kitchen! I mean wipe up the big stuff and put it on the plates. Or leave a big tip for the server that has to clean it up.
    Anonymous

• If really messy, just warn them up front and ask if they have anything the perfer to put under the high chair to help with the mess. If not, they have vacuums and whatnot to help clean. It's no biggie for most of 'em.
    Anonymous

• my DD makes a HUGE mess anywhere we go & ive learned to just accept that. i usually pick the bigger pieces up off the floor & try to put everything into one pile. when you come into a restaurant w/ a kid they expect to have to clean up after ya. we also leave bigger tips when the mess is gonna be hard to clean (jelly smooshed in the carpet for ex).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I allow my 15 month old dd to feed herself at restaurants, but I always clean up the mess afterwards. Down to the last crumb. I don't think it's fair to leave a huge mess for the waiter/waitress to clean up, and I don't want the exemplify the stereotype that parents with kids are terrible customers. Being extra wet wipes and plastic bags to collect the mess. Don't leave it for the waiter/waitress to toss it for you-throw it out on your way to the car. And wlays leave a generous tip.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• always**
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I bring a clear garbage bag and place it under the high chair. It is not too obvious since it is clear, and then I just roll it up and through it in the garbage when we are done. Usually most of the food is confined to the bag.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2009