Historical Proof of Religious Myth Figures...

I have heard the argument from Jewish, Christian and Muslim moms that their beliefs have historical legs to stand on because there is physical proof of these people and places... And I do not disagree with those findings...

But does this argument work both ways? When there is the same type of archaeological proof from other faiths does it also give those faiths historical legs, so to speak? If not, why?

Example: For centuries there has been myths pertaining to the birth of Hercules and the house which he was born in. Which until now have been seen as no more than a story. However, recently there has been proof of the existance of this man's life, and the house has been found. In the eyes of many this is no more or less proof than there is of Biblical places and people...

Does this give any historical proof to the myths surrounding Hercules? If not, why then do we still depend on historical proof of religion at all?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• popcorn

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• LMAO @ deadheadjen

was just thinking the same. i have long since quit offering an opinion- not worth the hassle. but its great for entertainment purposes, if you have a warped sense of humor. so is walmart- i mean, "The Locals" so glad i'm not local.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sometimes "myth" and "legend" are just stories that get passed down time and time again. They eventually get distorted. If there was in fact a Hercules, then his story is probably a little different now then what actually happened. Dont you think?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• lowencope, then couldn't the same be said for the bible and Jesus?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Ditto Princessofscots on the historical bastardization of christian mythology. I was reading an article the other day about the discoveries of the ancient city of Troy, and the epic Trojan War's roots in reality, too. More and more findings support the ancient tales of Greece and the gods they worshiped; why does that not prove their existence?

Sabrina, have you got a link for that Hercules thing? I'd love the read it...Greek is my favorite mythology, basically tied with Celtic. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Touche' Princessofscotts, darn good point.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Princessofscotts - that was actually my exact point. I would never claim that one religion or another doesn't deserve to be able to claim history or try to disprove another. My entire point is that historical proof DOES exist for many many myths and many many religious traditions... And that they should be respected in a way that reflects that historical significance.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Roachiesmom - I actually heard about it on the History channel. But here is a link to one of the stories about the house being found...

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/content.asp?aid=52025

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• ive been watching the History channels Clash of the Gods show & ive been amazed how many have actual historic evidence & beginnings based on ppl who actually lived.

imo a history of actual ppl does not prove a religion (then again what does?), but it does make it easier to understand from an outsiders pov why/how someone believes in it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Thanks, Sabrina! :O) I'll go indulge my inner history geek.

okmanders, that's the point many, many non-believers have tried to make that generally falls upon the deaf hand-covered ears of most believers -- that what many of them dismiss out of hand as mythology has as much or more historical/factual base as christian mythology. And rarely do any of us insist -- no matter what we may privately fantasize -- that this should change the beliefs of the believer...but merely how they may view the beliefs of others.  Thanks for at least seeing that.  So many can't.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2009