anyone have suggestions on how to get my son to stop wetting the bed?

I have tried no drinks two hours before bed, he pees right before bed but half the time he still wets the bed! Ive tried bribing him but now he just gets in the bath and takes the sheets off his bed before I wake up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow..you cant bribe a child...you are just making the situation worse and making him anxious. Anxiety leads to bed wetting

Stop being so hard on him and give it time. Stop being judgemental and love him for who he is.
    Anonymous

• I would just change the sheet and act as if its no big deal. That's what I've done with my son. After all, they are asleep and they dont know they're doing it. I've seen my little son curled up on the floor in the morning cuz he didn't want to wake me up and I always feel so bad about that. He hasn't wet the bed in probably about 2 months or so. His bed wetting has gotten a lot further apart and less frequent. Some kids just take longer than others. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it has to do with the level of sleep they go into, not being able to wake up, etc. It's not really his fault just something you have to work around.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It is a really hard thing. My 11 still struggles on occasion. It has gotten a lot better, but it is not something you can always solve easily.

1) I would wrap his mattress in plastic under the mattress cover
    2) look for any kinds of patterns - like mine wets now when he is stressed or sick
    3) they do make alarms that attach to the pajamas. Didn't work for my son.
    4) be patient, even though it is really, really hard to do. He likely has little control over the situation.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• This happens to my son from time to time . what I do isI dont give him any thing to drink two hours before bedtime
    Anonymous

• Here is a site.  I used this company and they helped big time.  My daughter was on the program for 3 months and she was dry and she is still dry and it has been 4 years.  Bed wetting is a sleep disorder not a bladder condition.  Check out the site and it will tell you why children wet the bed.  Hope this helps.

http://www.stopwetting.com/

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Bedwetting in older children is usually a sleeping disorder and they will usually outgrow it before puberty. Please stop trying everything that involves the possibility of making your child feel as if it is something he is doing wrong, you will cause long term emotional damage. (like my parents did to me and my brothers) It is also often hereditary, maybe you or your husband also were a bedwetter, which really, is no big deal. Usually the kids are sleeping so heavily, or deeply that the switch in the brain and bladder do not connect during sleep and wake them up in time to go to the bathroom. He will grow out of this. You can either put him in goodnights (older kid pull ups) or put plastic on the mattress and wash the sheets as needed. I know it can be a hassle at times, but it isnt his fault. My parents did it all, alarms, waking us, withholding drinks, washing our faces with cold water in the middle of the night, (cont
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Cont) none of that worked, we all grew out of it eventually. Please stop trying to bribe him and all that, it just comes with being a parent and it will all stop eventually.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Have you taken him to the doctor to find out if there is an existing medical condition? He could have an overactive bladder or an underdeveloped bladder. A lot of boys have this issue until they are well into puberty. Do NOT punish him, do NOT yell, do NOT judge. Help him change the sheets and his clothes and leave it at that. Use a rubber mattress pad under the sheets to protect the mattress. Get him the overnights from pampers, get the brief looking ones, the boxer type ones leak bad. I would also stop bribing him, he may not have any control over what is happening.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2009