The Evolution of Humans?

I was thinking about this the other night. People question the whole "God created the earth in 7 days" idea because of the dinosaurs. I believe days were not 24 hrs back then so thousands of years could've been one day. But, how does that work with the caveman and how we've evolved? Does the same concept work? I mean, with the dinosaurs, the Bible was never specific on the animals he created. But when He made man, it says He made us in His image and put Adam in charge of naming the animals.

I guess I just want other peoples opinions and theories on this.

This is mainly for people who believe God created the earth, but if anyone else has a theory that can work, I'd be glad to hear it too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there is a very clear problem when saying that days were thousands of years "back then". There is no evidence of that. It's just a hunch or a hope.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• OP here. I never said it was true. Just what I believe. And if it's not true, then dinosaurs and man lived together, which I could live with as well.
    Anonymous

• So far there is no legitimate fossil record of any sort to support the idea of dinosaurs and humans co-existing. There are, however, plenty that indicate just the opposite.

Personally the concept of dinosaurs never once entered into my questioning of the whole "god did it" thing.

This thread could get interesting. I hope you get some more play on it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I believe in a literal 6 day creation. Where each day is designated by the rising and setting of the sun. Here is an article that pretty much sums up my whole opinion on creation, age of the earth, evolution, and dinosaurs. I just gave it to my dd's teacher today because she asked me to help her with a lesson on dinosaurs for next week (Christian School).

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• There is actually a great deal of proof that the later breeds of Dinosaurs and Humans (or more properly pre-humans) did exist on earth side by side. Now, If you are looking for Biblical proof it's there as well. The bible talks about the great beasts, however animals such as the lion are named by name... The great beasts are also referred to only in a context of Pre-Noah or in visions. Again, this points to the fact that there was a population at the time of Dinosaurs because otherwise, how would the people that were writing the bible to have known anything about them?

As for the length of the days. The bible talks about the creation taking 6 days then it says later that 1000 years is like a day to God. So, it would stand to reason that they were referring to thousands of years. And NOT a literal 24 hour day that we know today.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• As for humans or evolution in general. I am not one that can comment on this from a christian perspective. I do not believe in that version. I do however believe in the idea that the Gods had a hand in evolution. I believe that they were able to guide the creation process using evolution... And that yes, it does take thousands and thousands of years for the evolutionary process all together... There is more proof of the evolutionary process in general than there is in any religious creation story. It is simply ignorant for us to think we have all the answers or that we can place a time table on the Gods. These are questions that we humans, will never answer. We simply can not... For even with proof, there are skeptics.

• Great article, Cinnamon.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The "day didn't mean day" argument is a popular one, but it doesn't work. The word day has meaning & there is no historical evidence to even suggest that it might, at one time have meant something more like 10,000 years. The stories of creation aren't meant to be understood as what really, literally happened. It is a poetic version of events that are big & difficult to understand. That does not mean that God (any god really) couldn't have created the earth, just that the stories aren't meant to be reports of just how it happened, they are supposed to be stories to talk about the "fact" that it did happen.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• k, not to be rude AT ALL, but who cares? ;)
    Anonymous

• OP here........ It was a question of curiousity, Anon. Can people not be curious? Oh and i was watching something on tv, which is what made me think of this question.

I do believe in forms of evolution, I mean....we obviously evolved from caveman up to what we are now. They believe certain dinosaurs evolved into animals we see today, which I believe. I dont believe we came from the chimps. I like to hear other peoples ideas, so if anyone other than Christians want to answer with what they believe, I'd love to hear your ideas as well. I'm always curious about things and how they work with religions and beliefs.
    Anonymous