Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in my town?

I know I know...freedom of speech. There is a woman organizing a white supremacy rally/protest downtown Kalispell, MT. This is a small town and they plan on coming to protest and then have a BBQ in a public park.
Is there anything I can do to put a stop to this? Is there anything that any one can do?
I am SO disgusted and heart broken that this is happening in my town.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• depending on the size of it they would need a permit, if you are going to have someone show up first to prevent them from protesting there, it will probably piss them off and just send them elsewhere, or cause more problems. honestly, its one of those things, that if it gets a lot of attention its doing exactly what those people want it to do. if you ignore it and ignore them, than they aren't reaching their goal.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well she'd have to have a permit to organize a protest/rally right? so maybe get a petition going asking the permit not be granted. or if it is granted organize a rally that goes against hers across the street or something. otherwise, you're right freedom of speech and unless you go and protest her protest there's nothing you can do about it. i'd take it as a learning opportunity for your kids, keep them away from it if you don't want them to see it, and maybe find others who don't agree to spend the day with.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You could also try creating a rally AGAINST it, and maybe she'll get the hint?
    Anonymous

• If you do that, you should probably let the police/sheriff know what is going on so they can be present in case of any type of violence...

And I don't think they have to have a permit to do something like this.
    Anonymous

• well the police are already aware. She posted a message on a racist website where she can get to other "supporters" of her cause with a bulletin. They are already responding that they will show up!
    I heard about this on the news so there are many people aware of the situation. Unforunately I will be at work all day tomorrow so there isn't much I can do from there. I am wondering if since it is in a public park, we could organize a group to show up first and then the hater brigade wont have anywhere to go????
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Are people still really that ignorant? It makes normal white people look bad. I don't blame you for wanting to stop it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• vabchmommy...you are right. I dont want them to get the attention that they want but I am having a hard time grasping that there are so many supporters where I live. I want to, as a town, let them know that they cant practice their BS hatred here.
    In the ignorant bitch's post, she wrote that this will be the first of many.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2009