7 months pregnant and a (very) abnormal pap smear??

My health dept. gave me a pap smear and said the results were very bad, with alot of unussual cells in it. They want me to have a biopsiy to test for cancer.
But they wont tell me any more info about it. What might this mean? Is there anyone that can show me a support place for this kind of thing? Im very scared and lacking information, but the nurses are acting like its a big deal, but at the same time i have to wait till after I have my baby to get a biopsy. Can anyone help me _ Im completely lost on this.

AFayard

Asked by AFayard at 2:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Health

• Could be hpv....
    Anonymous

• I didnt know they did paps while pregnant. I hadone after my dd was born and it was abnormal, dr said it was because pregnancy causes alot of changes in body so they werent concerned. I would do some searching online and call nurses to get more info if needed.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It's nothing to get too freaked out over unless the biopsy comes back bad. The health department seems to overreact to some results. When my son had his lead levels checked there they called me freaking out saying it was a really high level and he needed to come in right away to be retested...turns out it was only a level or 2 higher than normal. His next test came out fine. Calm down, and call your ob or midwife and see what they suggest. =) Good luck! And try not to stress.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• There is a high rate of getting false abnormal paps. Did they mention doing what is called a colposcopy NOW? A colposcopy can be done during pregnancy and is safe. I had an abnormal pap and at 21 weeks I had the colposcopy (they use a speculum to open the vaginal wall and use a microscope to look inside at any sores or any abnormalities. If a biopsy is needed they wait and do it after the baby is born)! When I had my colposcopy done they did do another pap, it lasted 3-5 minutes and everyhting looked normal and that second pap came back clear.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Not too sure. I know they did a pap at my first prenatal. I also know they aren't supposed to do any thing with that area (as far as the bioptsy goes) as it can induse labor. Do you have any other doctors you can refer to for more info? or check out Web MD?
    Anonymous

• I would go to another doctor and get a second opinion..
    Anonymous