My almost 3 yr old eats my hair. any suggestions?????

why is he doing this? if he finds my hair on my shirt,couch, anywhere he will put it in his mouth. how weird and gross i know. I'm thinking maby it has to do with attachment. Should i punish him for it? like timeout? help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mention it to his Pediatrician.

It could be pica...

You can read more about pica here:
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/914765-overview

Pica can be an unatural craving of things to eat that are not of the normal fare.

"The definition is occasionally broadened to include the mouthing of nonnutritive substances. Individuals who present with pica have been reported to mouth and/or ingest a wide variety of nonfood substances, including, but not limited to, clay, dirt, sand, stones, pebbles, hair, feces, lead, laundry starch, vinyl gloves, plastic, pencil erasers, ice, fingernails, paper, paint chips, coal, chalk, wood, plaster, light bulbs, needles, string, cigarette butts, wire, and burnt matches."

Be sure to let your pediatrician know.
    And mention 'Pica' (Pie Kuh)

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 7:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• OH definitely mention it to his ped. This is a potentially dangerous habit, as he could develop a hair ball in his stomach over time. I'm sure his doctor will have suggestions on how to break him of it

geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My mom chews on her hair, she's 55. When she watches movies. She's done it her whole life and there's no "medical" problem with her. But check into those picopica possibilities.
    Anonymous