How to prevent syncope?

My 9 year old son has been experiencing syncope episodes for the last 5 years, since he was 4 years old. The doctor ordered an EEG (brainwave ultrasound) and it was normal. This morning he passed out at school again this morning, and I took him to the doctor again. His blood sugar and blood pressure (at laying down, sitting, then standing) were checked, and he was hooked up to an EKG. He also peed in a cup. Doctor ordered a fasting glucose test next week.
I know some people experience syncope for no reason, and I'm sure he's fine. As long as the doctor is keeping track of all the times he's passed out (6 times in 5 years so not often).
Has anyone else experienced syncope, or their child, and have any suggestions on how to prevent it?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 3:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Health

• I have experienced syncope, but mine is attached to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I know how to control it now and I believe that I had been suffering from if for about 9 years or so before I was diagnosed. I wish you luck and hope that the glucose test will give you guys some answers. I had a fasting glucose of 34 when they diagnosed me. This WAY low compared to the normal of 80-90.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009