Anyone here go thru pre-eclampsia and are afraid to have another kid?

I was diagnosed with sever pre-e (high blood pressure) at 33.5 weeks and had Tess that night. She spent 4 weeks in the NICU. Given you are 8 times as likely to get it again, but less severe and later, are you willing to risk your life for another child?

Asked by anng.atlanta at 2:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Health

• I was diagnosed with preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome at 25 weeks, delivered at 26 weeks. I spent almost two weeks in the hospital and my daughter spent 87 days in the NICU. I love my daughter dearly, but I don't feel complete. I'd love to have one more baby. I just don't know if I'm ready to take that chance. My husband is happy with his two daughters (he also has a 10 year old from a previous relationship). He says he is open to the idea of one more, but I don't know how sincere he is when he says that. My family thinks I'm crazy after all we went through. It's a tough decision, but we need to make up our minds soon because I'm not getting any younger!

Answer by lovinmystar at 2:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• mine didnt get found tell 37 weeks so i was far enough along, they just kept be on bedrest one night then in the morning checked my bloodpressure and it was like 187 so they induced me and i stayed the normal hospital time then left with my baby but i had to be put on blood pressure meds cuz it was a couple weeks before went to normal and i had to make a couple additional visits to check on it

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Yes I had Toxemia first then Pre-Eclampsia, I deliverd my son at 5 months because of it. I had two childern previously and after having my son I had my tubes tied for medical reasons. my son now has Broncopulmanary Disease because of being born so early. but he survied. he is my Miracle Baby.

Answer by AuntieVetta at 1:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• The one side affect I have is that High Blood Pressure I never got rid of it.

Answer by AuntieVetta at 1:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Generally with pre-eclampsia your risk for getting it again are higher however there are more people who go on to never get it again than those who do get it again. First I would suggest a preconception consult with a perinatologist. I would ask to have clotting and autoimmune disorder blood tests run. Ultimatly unless you have some underlying condition there is NO way to prevent or predict if you will get it again.
    I had severe pre-e with my son and he was born at 27 weeks, spend 2 1/2 months in the NICU. With my twins I got it severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome and delivered at 32 weeks with them, they only spent 3 weeks in the NICU.

Answer by angelsmom05 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• Oh and I would suggest going to, there is lots of info and a great forum there as well

Answer by angelsmom05 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• I wasn't diagnosed with pre-eclampsia until I was 2 days past my due date. I had perfect blood pressure up until then. 2 days after delivery, I developed eclampsia. I had a seizure in the middle of the grocery store. I waited for 16 months and asked my physician (found one with over 32 years experience) and he said that chances of it happening again are slim. You are more likely to have pre-eclampsia/eclampsia with your first pregnancy. There is nothing you can do to prevent getting pre-eclampsia so it's a chance you have to weigh out. Having been an only child, I told my husband that there was no way I'm having just one, but if this occurs again, I'm done and getting fixed. It's entirely up to you and it's a choice that should be made with your husband too.

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 8:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2008

• I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 32 weeks with my first daughter and because it was so mild, I was able to carry til term and was only induced 3 days before my actual due date. I just found out TODAY that I have it again...again its mild...but this time I"m only 29 weeks. Egh. Here we go again. At least this time my job isn't so physically demanding.

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2008