anyone afflicted with Cold sores??

Ok first off alot of people give out misinformation about cold sores and dont understand much about them, ive taken several medical classes so these have been part of my study, as have I done my own research and talked with my doctor, one thing I know is that there is a small percentage of time during a year where the HSV-1 virus (cold sores) is actively contagious even when showing no symptoms..so im afraid to let my children eat after me, use my toothpaste or even kiss them. Im tired of getting cold sores, I get them twice a year, the same time each year both times, but the spot where I get them on my lip is permanently red and very often it will tingle like a cold sore does, so I pretty much assume the virus is ALWAYS active with me, I wondered if anyone else has had this issue? Also I was looking into valtrex and will be talking to my doctor about it but noticed one of the rare symptoms is hepatitis, this really concerns

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• me, and Im wondering if anyone has been prescribed Valtrex for HSV-1 oral herpes (cold sores) and how did it work for you?? also any of you have concern with this as a side effect?
    Anonymous

• I know that where ever you get a cold sore, the nerves are permanently damaged and that spot will always be susceptible to out breaks. That's why you get them in the same place all the time.

I don't know about it being active a certain time of year, but I know that you can have an out break if you are particularly run down or over exerted. Maybe you are busiest in the fall and spring?

I do get them, I hate them, and I hate walking around with it on my face.

I had a perscription for a cream called Zovorax that was an antiviral ointment. I'd put it on at the first sign of a tingle and keep doing it - I think four times a day for a few days and they wouldn't surface.

You can get some relief by taking a steeped tea bag and refrigerating it for a while until it is very cold and applying it to the area. It won't END the cold sore but it will comfort the spot.
    Anonymous

• I dont currently have a cold sore but anytime I feel that "tingle" I put abreva on it, but the time of the year I get them EVERY time is mid Feb, and then the very beginning of April ..its extremely annoying and hard to deal with when you have children...I dont know if the abreva will help me next year during the time that I get them because I just started using it but I REALLY hope it will...I hadnt had a cold sore since I was a child until I got pregnant and now without fail Ive gotten them the last 2 years
    Anonymous

• I was prescribed valtrex for them years ago, but then I was switched to acyclovir when the formulary at the hospital I was seen at deemed valtrex only for genital herpes. Acyclovir works good, but valtrex works better. If you are on valtrex, you are only on it for a few days and not as a prophylaxis for genital herpes so I wouldn't worry too much about liver damage. That becomes more of an issue if you take it every day for years. Now that I am seen somewhere else, I can get valtrex so I am going to ask for some now that you mention it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I get them often. I put carmex on them and let them run their course. Hubby gets them and my 2 year old has already had one or two. I don't think they are too big a deal as they usually are gone in a week or two. It jsut hurts to eat! but the carmex works great if you keep putting it on before the sore has a chance to scab and harden.
    Anonymous

• I usually get them from stress; I can't 'time' them or anything but I do get that tingly feeling before it starts and as soon as I feel that I use Carmex and it's not usually as bad...

I have gotten them so bad to get the fever blisters (water blisters) around it too...my mom & aunt & other relatives have them occassionally as well so I assume that's where I got them from.

I try really hard when I have an outbreak to keep the kids away from me; but I think the youngest ended up with them anyway; that makes me sad...
    Anonymous