The stool of my 12 month old...

My 12 month-old's poop smells REALLY bad. I know poopy diapers are smelly but you can tell when he's pooped when you walk into the same room he's in (makes me gag). This has occurred about the last 1-2 weeks. He also has a cold right now could that be related?

blaaemless

Asked by blaaemless at 3:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He could have rotovirus - it makes the worst smelling poop imagineable - but it's typically diarrhea. Is he eating more table foods, different foods than before, switching to milk, any dietary changes? That could easy be too, since the diets change a fair amount around 1.
    Anonymous

• My DD gets that way when she is close to cutting teeth. Then in a few days it is gone. It could be any number of things. I would just keep an eye on him and if it bothering him then you should call your doc.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009