Any advice on what to do when you are trying to get pregnant?

I have a two year old am would like to have another baby. I lost a baby on August 8th so I just got my period back on September 4th. I would really like to get pregnant soon, as soon as possible. I have heard about basal body temperature but am not sure exactly what it is, when to start tracking it, and am not sure what I should be looking for. Can any of you moms out there, either with children or trying to get pregnant again, help me with any ideas?

RobbynsMommy

Asked by RobbynsMommy at 4:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I'm a little rusty on this subject since it's been about 3 years since I tried this method, but here is a short and sweet explanation of basal temperature. It's your body's at rest temperature, so take it first thing in the am before you get out of bed. Take it each day for a month or two and chart it to see how it fluctuates. On the day that your temperature spikes, that is supposedly the day of ovulation when the egg is released. While you are charting your basal temp, you should also chart your mucos consistency. You've got to get your fingers dirty for this... :-) Chart the thickness and the color. On the day that your mucos is sticky like an egg white and will stretch from finger to finger when you pull them apart, that will most likely be the day around your ovulation. If you chart these two things for a month to three months you will discover your most fertile time of the month so that you can have sex on those
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• ... days of the month. Start charting it on the first day of your period (day 1 of your cycle).

Most books or experts will say that you are most fertile on the 14th day of your cycle because they base that on a 28 day cycle. Some women have cycles that are longer or shorter. I ovulated on the 19th day of my cycle, so to have sex on the 14th was fun but would not get me preggars! Good luck!
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Go to a website that offers a FREE fertility tracker. It works.
    deputywife

Answer by deputywife at 9:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• honestly, I wouldn't worry about tracking unless I had problems ttc. if you have sex every other day, you're probably doing the best you can do get pregnant. You may want to talk to your doctor, though because many experts say wait six months to a year before trying after a loss. It gives your body time to heal. Since you weren't far along, maybe you don't need to wait that long, but I wouldn't hurt myself, either. I'd hate for you to go through another heartbreak because your body wasn't ready. but I do wish you the best of luck and if you are still interested in bbt, I would go to an online tracker but also maybe try an ovulation kit. Still, every other day is a good method!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• First off, check out the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and http://www.fertilityfriend.com/. Between those, you'll learn everything you need to know. BBT charting is very simple: Take your temp first thing when you wake up, before you even get out of bed, and record it along with the time you took it. Before you ovulate, it will be fairly low and may fluctuate a bit; starting the day after you ovulate, it goes up by about half a degree and stays there until your period starts (or longer if you get pregnant). It's the only way to know for sure that you have ovulated, but it's no good for telling you when you're fertile and most likely to conceive; you'd need to chart cervical mucus/position and/or use OPKs for that. But the book and website I mentioned earlier can tell you all about those.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Hmm...there is lots of information out there but I'll give you my 2-cents. =) If your cycle is normal, you can calculate during the month when you will be most fertile (http://www.ahealthyme.com/Ovulation.do), like others have said, take your BBT. Orgasm after he does. I hear that your cervix sucks up sperm when you orgasm. Don't drink (I think the sperm get drunk. I read a study that being intoxicated can make it a bit harder to get pregnant. Although I'm pretty sure we were both loaded when I conceived with this one). Relax, consume full-fat dairy (again, new studies have suggested it may help).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2009