ultrasound question. Any advice would be awesome!

So my SIL just found out she is pregnant recently. She is guessing she got pregnant on Sep 12. That was her perfect ovulation time and they obviously did the deed lol. Well, if that is when she got pregnant the fetus would only be about 3 weeks along. She went to the Doc yesterday which seemed odd because it seems so super early, and they did an ultra sound. they did not see anything. She is obviously freaking out about this. Is it normal not to see anything that early? I honestly have no idea. They also took her blood to check her levels and stuff but she obviously wont know about that for a few days. She said they were taking the blood to see how far along she is so Im assuming the doc felt growth in her uterus. Sorry Im rambling, its just a bit nerve wracking. So basically, is it normal to not see anything ye

Amanduhpanda

Asked by Amanduhpanda at 4:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I first went to the doc this pregnancy at 5 weeks and didnt do an u/s because he said you wouldnt be able to see anything that early. So... as long as they saw the yolk sac (which were confirm she is pregnant) then I wouldnt worry AT ALL about not seeing the heartbeat.

Even though the heart is just starting to beat at this point, its too early to see it. Give it another 2 weeks or so
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• if they did an internal ultrasound then you sholuld be able to see a yolk sac and a heart beat
    Anonymous

• at 3 weeks? just wait
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I was figuring the ultrasound was just super early. I know theres a chance that she might lose it but I dont want to tell her that. I just dont understand why the doctors would have her go in that early. It just seems stupid to me. I know at my office they dont want you coming in before 7 or 8 weeks.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I never saw a heart beat till 6-7 weeks. The earliest I ever had a u/s was 5 weeks, and we saw what looked like an empty sac, but since we thought I was 6 weeks, they said to come back next week and the heartbeat was there the next time. So it is probably fine.
    Anonymous

• The fetal heart
    The embryonic heart starts beating 22 days after conception, or about five weeks after the last menstrual period, which by convention we call the fifth week of pregnancy. The heart at this stage is too small to hear, even with amplification, but it can sometimes be seen as a flickering in the chest if an ultrasound is done as early as four weeks after conception.

Hope this helps!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• at 3 weeks its' hard to see...even at 6 weeks it's just a little dot on the screen. just wait and don't freak, if they're sure she's pregnant than she probly be fine
    Anonymous

• everything should be fine just pray and dont worry
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• When I found out I was pregnant I went in at 4 weeks. I had an internal ultrasound, and they could see the yolk sac, but it was too early to see the heartbeat.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Wrong. AT three weeks, it's just now implanted/implanting. They may see a yolk say, although it would be so tiny they might not even see that yet. The heartbeat would not even be there yet
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2009