Is theology the same as beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's one definition of it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Theology is the study of "god" (however you interpret that). "A theology" can refer to a specific set of beliefs set down by theologians.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• You don't have to have belief to be a theologian. It's the study of the beliefs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I think of them differently. I can study something on a purely intellectual level, it increases my knowledge but doesn't affect my behaviors or character. When it does then it becomes a belief or faith.

For example, I am a Christian I could easily study the Muslem faith.  I am not likely to convert but would gain knowledge of another world view and hopefully those who practice that faith.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• As others have said - theology is the study of religion and religious beliefs. One does not have to believe to study theology. To me beliefs are more like opinons/feelings - something someone accepts as true. And people can have a belief - a feeling/opinion/acceptance - without any theology (aka reasoning or study behind it). Beliefs without any theology behind it is like "blind faith". For me, ideally a belief will have some theology (reason and study) to back it up.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2009