SSA Disability Benefits

I am in the middle of applying for disability. The first time I was denied. So I appealed it. I was sent to a psychiatrist about a month ago. She informed me that the reason I was there was so she could evaluate me to see if I could handle finances myself if the ssa decided to approve my disability application. My question is, has anyone been through this? If so, after you went through this process did SSA approve your application?
Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was denied twice then I got a lawyer, now I have a 12 to 16 month waiting period before I will get my money, I'll get back pay for all those months when I finally do...I had to do 4 psychiatric evaluations, they were from HELL!( I have PTSD and migraines..) I doubt your approval is contingent on whether you can handle finances yourself or not, they just may get someone to help you with that if you can't. Sorry, I'm not much help... did you appeal yourself...without a lawyer? You need to get a lawyer a.s.a.p. if you haven't already, there is no cost up front, they only get paid if & when you win your case...Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes. I didn't get a lawyer. After the evaluation you go to court and you can talk to the judge but he mostly goes by reports in your file. My law professor said that if you get that far they always approve it in the end. They deny and deny and deny in the beginning to screen ppl out;.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I heard that too ..I heard it's their MO to give 3 denials...& generally if a lawyer decided to take your case it's because he knows he can win.
    Anonymous

• Do you know what the psychiatrist report said? If they are questioning if you can handle finances do not be surprised if you are approved that they appoint you a payee. The payee will oversee your finances for you. If you need assistance with applying and appealing or have SS questions you should look up the Disability Law Center in your area. Their assistance is free.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Thank you ladies very much for your assistance. I will definantely be contacting a lawyer if I am denied this time :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2009