Being induced- what's it like?

I'm soooooo nervous about this!! I was told just last week that since I am 38 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes on my record, they need to induce me at 39 weeks to make sure the baby is healthy. My doctor was very understanding that I am nervous about it, but was also saying that it's best to get the baby so that nothing bad could happen. So I'm excited...I get to see my baby Monday morning, unless she decides to come sooner (on her own time...i wish this would happen before monday!)
So just wondering....has anyone been through it before? My aunt said it's wayyyyy more painful and that i should just ask for the epidural first thing. I don't want an epidural. I had my son without one, and I was hoping not to this time either.... Is it really awful or do you think I'll be ok? (and don't sugar coat it too much! I'd love the encouragement, but if you have a horror story, sugar coat it a little lol)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its not that bad. I had it done and had to have a csection in the end. just trust you drs and tuesday will be here before you know it! GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I didn't think being induced was bad at all. It felt like my stomach was a giant rubber band being pulled tight, so it was a little uncomfortable, but I really didn't think it was terribly painful. I'm sure like normal labor it can be different for everyone. I'll add that I also had mine for other reasons, and ended up with a c-section...... Good Luck, and best wishes for you and your baby!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• ive been induced with both of mine, and i got the epidural when i asked for it. the 2nd time i didn't even ask for it til like 6 hours after i was induced because the contractions weren't that bad yet. my first was delivered vaginally so don't believe people that say if you are induced you will end up in a c-section, yes it does happen but a vaginal is possible with induction! my 2nd was a c-section but that was because after 12 hours of labor she wouldn't move down and was 10 lbs. just ask them to break your water after the epi if it doesn't break on it's own because i've heard when they break it it hurts.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I had 4 baby's and 2 had to be induced and to me they were more painful because they are making the contractions start for you! I did have the epidural with them all I can say is thank God! My first induction was horrible I was in labor for 2 days and painful as hell. Good luck honey!!

Anonymous

• Babies should come when they are ready. Not when your doctor is. Induction ends in csections alot!
    Anonymous

• If you don't want to be induced you can ask more questions:
    What are my risks and benefits of declining induction at 39 weeks? What about at 40 weeks? etc.
    Are there alternatives to this form of induction?
    Pros & cons to them?

Some practitioners don't "believe in" inducing for this, so if you really are opposed then you might investigate further. Some don't even bother to do any screening even.
    Just wanted to throw that out there.

There are different methods for medical induction. Many doctors will start with Cervidil or Cytotec and move on to Pitocin IF they feel it's needed.
    And there are many successful inductions without the use of pain meds, too. With a lot of support, you can work towards this. It can be done, but plan ahead for coping techniques and supporters.

Best wishes to you and your new baby!!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• "Babies should come when they are ready. Not when your doctor is. Induction ends in csections alot!"

Um, this statement didn't address what an induction is really like OR offer encouragement. So thanks for nothing, except for sticking your opinion in ... which I agree, in most cases natural is best. I did state that I'd rather it happen that way.
    Anonymous

• I was giving medication to get my labor going when my water broke and I wasn't dilating.. so technically the actual labor part WAS induced, and it was HORRIBLE, for me anyway. I really wanted to do it without and epi, but after having HORRIBLE contractions for 12 hours I gave in and asked for one. I hadn't slept for 24 hours and had been in labor for 12 of them, and was exhausted and in more pain than I had ever been in. My midwife actually recomended I get an epi because if I didn't sleep I wasn't going to have the energy to push. (After being in labor for 12 hours it was another 6 before I had her, at which point I would have been up for 30 hours and in labor for 18.)

Also, just FYI, with g. diabetes, most of the time you'll end up with a baby too big to pass through the birth canal, which is why they recommend having the baby come a bit earlier. My cousin had to do this, induced at 38 1/2 weeks and still had 10 lb baby!
    Anonymous

• I had three inductions and never even came close to a c-section.

My SIL just had an induction and while she didn't want any pain meds, she did end up getting an epidural because it is a LOT more intense.

Anon :28....there are times when it is necessary or even *gasp* better to have an induction. You don't know all the facts about this case, only your own labors. Back the frick off and mind your own damn business.
    Anonymous

• They gave me cervidil, and the drip and it really didn't seem to bad. We did the pit drip, because I was already contracting a little bit. It wasn't bad but then the nurse who was supposed to be monitoring it wandered off and I started having really long, hard contractions. She lowered the amount I was getting and the contractions stopped. So they did cervidil that night, and the pit drip again the next morning, and nothing really happened. Sent me home for a day or two, came back, did the cervidil again, this time removing it touched off contractions, they had me walking all over the hospital, they slowed down, we did pitocin again, was contracting, but son just would not make progress, after 12 hours of pit, they gave up for the night and the doc gave me the option of another round of cervidil/pit or a c-section, which I had. Nobody told me at the beginning that it might not work. GL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2009