Will the flu shot help with H1N1?

My MIL told me that the regular flu shot will help with the H1N1 virus. She said that if you catch the H1N1 it will not be as bad. I thought that the flu shot only protected you against certain strains of flu. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Health

• i dont think anyone knows right nowand thats why its scary. I thought the same as youMIL but then realized that there is a diff flu shot every year due to diff strands. that obv means that h1n1 is a diff strand tahts not included in the avg flu shot.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Flu shots only work for three months, so this is maybe why there are different shots every year- although they are reformulated because of different strains, but there may be some of the same strains, too. At least this is what I think. I haven't heard of the flu shot helping against h1n1 though.

Answer by Bmat at 5:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Actually, there was a blip on CNN a week or so ago that having the regular flu vaccine makes you MORE vulnerable to the H1N1. Scary.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2009