Do you believe God/ess ...

Do you believe your God/Goddess or Creator to be the ultimate parent?
And if so and you believe in an eternal damnation, then how do you reconcile that an ultimate deity would condemn you when (and forgive me if I assume to much) you would not condemn your own children?
I know my DD could commit the most horrid of crimes, and I would not wish an eternal torture upon her. I could not. So how could any God who is the Ultimate Parent?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a Pagan I don't believe in eternal damnation.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yes, I see Him as a loving parent, and merciful. He would not allow His wayward children suffer forever. The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus. The wages of sin is death, not eternal life somewhere else.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yeppers. No I don't believe in eternal damnation either.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I'm more of a pantheist and don't see God as a humanistic figure doling out reward and punishment anyhow. Paradoxes such as the one you just pointed out are one of the reasons why viewing God as a having human-like characteristics didn't make sense to me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I see what you are saying- but really God doesn't condem us, we condem ourselves through our own actions. Everyone has a choice- God loved the world so that He sent us a savior. Remember that not only is God a loving and forgiving God, but he is holy, holy, holy. Meaning he is a just God- no sin in heaven because with sin comes all of the consequences.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I dont believe in damnation and I dont see the God/Goddess as a parent per se.

I see them as the Universal Divine who helped create this planet and then stepped back and let it do its thing.

So I dont see them as the person who gave birth to my soul or anything like that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• * pnwmom

As a Pagan I don't believe in eternal damnation.

-------

ditto.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't see my God/Goddess's as the Ulitmate parent.. I see them more as a spiritual guide per-se... not here to comdemn or punish a person for their actions, but more as a guide to help us make the right decision, but leaving (ulitmately) the choice (free will and all you know) up to us as to how we go...
    As for damnation... no I don't believe in it nor do I believe that the Gods/ess that I believe in would comdemn anyone to enternal harm... but then that is why I also believe in reincartation... we continue our paths (lives) until we have come full circle ... JMT's
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I don't see god/goddess as a cognizant "being" but as an energy force. A sea of white light that goes from light to total darkness. It cannot decide or condemn nor bestow bad or good upon us. It can be channelled for good or evil by us and those who don't understand that tend to pull lots of negativity towards them. In that sense, any deity is a product of our own minds and we create it in our image. It is what you decide to make it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I do not see the gods as our parents, nor do I believe that any force could condemn us to eternal damnation. As to the question, could an all-loving lord allow his beloved subjects to be subjected to eternal pain, I would have to say no that idea doesn't work. If God loves all people, but some people are subjected to an afterlife of everlasting torment that would cause God pain. A sentient being capable of love could only feel pain when a loved one is being tormented. If God were in pain, heaven, where he is said to "be" (as heaven is being in the presence of God) would be tainted with sorrow & pain. So the ideas that God loves all + God is in heaven + heaven is a place of no pain or sorrow + people can condemn themselves to an afterlife or eternal torment simply can't add up.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2009