Anyone here give birth at a Naval Hospital or specifically the Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton? Good or Bad Experience?

I'm only 13 weeks pregnant right now but I've been hearing some scary stories about people's experiences with giving birth at a Naval Hospital and since that's where I go for my Dr's appointments and most likely where I'll be delivering, I just wanted to hear some of other people's experiences good and bad so I can decide if I'd rather stay at the Naval Hospital or get a different doctor. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you! =]

Tiff41010

Asked by Tiff41010 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I worked on Coronado Island on the Navy base while I was pregnant with my first son. Because of a "misunderstanding" with my Navy OBGYN, I "ran" to Las Vegas, NV, where my family lives so that I could give birth at the Air Force base there (Nellis.) With the complications they found at Nellis when I went there and they had to induce me to save my son's life, I am happy with my descision to find another doctor. Four months later we returned to Nellis when the Naval Hospital in San Diego wouldn't help him. Again he almost died because of their uneducated nature.

If you are a civilian (spouse) I suggest trying to find a doctor who takes TriCare that isn't military. If you are stuck, then I suggest finding people who have had good experiances and find that doctor to be there for you. Good luck. I hope I didn't scare you too much, because that wasn't my intention.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 7:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i had my son at camp pendleton. it really wasn't a bad experience, as far as anything they did. my labor was bad and i ended up in a c-section, but it wasn't their doing. my nurses were really sweet & attentive. one even kicked my MIL out of the room at because she brought food back and offered it to me (in the middle of a contraction). i had a private labor room, private recovery room, and they offered to let me stay longer but didn't push it when i wanted to leave. all in all, i'd be more than happy to go back there with any future children i might have. if you have any specific questions, just message me. : )
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 10:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• btw, i agree with kenre about balboa. i had to go there when my dad was stationed in san diego, and they are HEINOUS. i wouldn't go there if i could help it. i would go pretty much anywhere else first, because at least the last time i checked, they only employ douchebags with head-in-sphincter problems.

camp pendleton is vastly different, which you'll find is pretty true about all naval hospitals. it depend greatly on the people running the joint.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 10:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009