My baby's saftey....

I have a 6 month ols son and I also have a dog that is 5 years old we had him his whole life. However, he looks at my son weird wont let him touch him. He has bitten my husband and drew blood and my MIL before (like 8 months ago). If you move him he will growl at you. He can be very loving too. My question is my son will start crawling soon I'm afraid that if he grabs the dog the dog will bite him or nip at him. So I told my hubby before anything happens to my baby we should find the dog a great home. THis older lady that lives alone no other animals called and wants to come see the dog. She said she would walk him everyday and make him his own home made dog food. I think she sounds very loving. My husband wont let me get rid of the dog. It's a mini schnuzaur pure bred and nice looking so I think this woman will want him. My hubby refuses. I don't want to piss off my hubby BUT I don't want anything to happen to my son. help

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 6:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would get rid of him if i was you. im sure youve heard in the news before "oh he was a great dog, the family dog, and one day out of nowhere..." - hes an animal. you never know what he will do, especially if he snaps at you. i live in a one bedroom apartment and my SO has a bowflex exercise machine, its HUGE and has all the wires and things hanging off of it. my son is 4 months old & i started giving him the heads up about how its gotta go when he starts crawling, he tries to tell me no its not going, but either the bowflex is going or hes going cuz im not jepordizing my sons life.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• a thought? contact your local ASPCA and see if they'd be willing to aggression and food test him.... and get their professional opinion on whether he should be in a home with little kids or not
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• also could he have a hidden injury ailment or arthritis making him pissed off? or a hearing/vision problem
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• This isn't really an answer...just my experience. We also had a mini schnauzer when my daughter was born. He never bit her or anyone else for that matter, but he did snap at my daughter once. That was it...I couldn't take the fear that he would one day hurt her. We found him a good home with people without kids and as far as we know, he is happy and glad to be the center of attention again! :)
    kdonaldson

Answer by kdonaldson at 6:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sounds scary to me. I agree w/ you about getting rid of the dog. I just wouldn't take the chance if he has already bitten twice. You never know, and better to be safe than sorry. jmo.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I just don't think that I should have to be worried my son will be hurt by this dog everytime he is on the ground. I always watch him but I hate the feeling i get when the dog is around him. My dog has been to his vet for check up and he is totally healthy and has great sight and vision. I don't know I heard these types of dogs don't like kids much. My in-laws had one and he bit a little kid while they were camping.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 6:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I know how you feel. We had a dog that was the baby for five years before I had my son. The dog was very jealous of baby. Baby grabbed the dog one day and the dog bit him on the hand. That dog was out of the house within the hour. Dogs can get very jealous. If he already has a history of biting, I wouldn't trust him around baby.
    Anonymous

• My parents had a poodle who was 7 years old and had her since she was 6 weeks old. The dog never seemed to like me but left me alone. She had NEVER bitten anyone before and rarely barked at anyone. But when i was crawling around and mom was doing dishes, i grabbed the dogs ear, and i guess i hurt her, and she bit my finger and I still have a bad scar from it. Mom says she still hasnt forgiven herself for it and im 20 years old now. Just a thought....
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i ment gid rid of it** LOL
    PURPULbutterfly

• Thank you everyone the dog is out of here and the headline thing... Great family dog attacked a baby that wont be my son no way. I'm smarter than that I'll piss off my hubby but as long as my son's safe who cares.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 11:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009