WHY would they give me pitocin if I didn't need it and WHY wouldnt they ask or tell me first??

I went into labor on my own, my water broke and like 30 minutes later my contractions started, I had HORRIBLE back labor. When I was in the hospital, they gave me pitocin (no one asked me or even told me, I found out a week after I left the hospital when I was looking at the summary of drugs they had given me during my stay) My labor was moving FINE, I have NO idea WHY they gave it to me and I'm very upset about it. I ended up having to have an emergency c-section and stayed in the hospital for 4 days (got a fever). WHY would they give me pitocin if I didn't need it and WHY wouldnt they ask or tell me first??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 6:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Perhaps they had a mistake on the billing.
    Anonymous

• hmm well that drug speeds labor right n sometimes those drugs can progress labor too fast than what is naturally occuring which causes distress and then causes the need for a c section. i would check into it for sure. good luck though they would want to cover that up if they did something wrong.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Most OBs and hospitals are VERY pit happy. I will never have another hospital birth again.
    Anonymous

• Because its the "thing to do". It's just become so common, that it's almost routine with some doctors. It sucks, but it's true. It sucks that in order to avoid it, you need to specifically tell them that you will not want it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• What does your doctor say? That's the person you really need to ask.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to ask at my 6 week appt.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• They will give you pitocin after you give birth because is contracts your uterus and helps stop the bleeding.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The joys of hospital births! Hospitals are notorious for giving you unnecessary drugs. Watch the documentary The Business of Being Born, you will never give birth in a hospial again.
    Anonymous

• that's horrible, but unfortunately it happens A LOT! in hospitals. i'm really sorry this happened to you. there are support groups for healing after an abuse like that. check on mothering.com. i book you might like to read is "pushed" by jennifer block. best wishes. :)
    Anonymous

• 1. coding mistake?
    2. was anyone else int he room with you? no one saw the bag labeled 'pitocin'?
    3 it sounds really far fetched and the rest of you need t research your hospitals. i have two great hospital births 4 years apart and nothing was done with out my consent.
    4. keep in mind that dr.s have lots of patients other than you, so it's possible your chart may have been confused and he issued orders for you meant for another. Me, personally, i pay attention to EVERYTHING around me and EVERYONE. i ask questions. this is your health. I' so sorry for all you went through and hope you have a speedy recovery, i've had back labor and it's not a joke!
    and lastly 5. what exactly was the reason given for yur C-Section?
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009