What do you mothers who exclusively breastfeed do about day care?

My son is seven months old and won't take a bottle. I am looking for a full time job because my husband won't and doesn't find us living off of our savings a problem. My son only needs to be watched a few hours a day while my husband is at school.

What should I do? How can I do this without him taking a bottle? How can I start adjusting my son to not being around me because every time I am away for more than three hours he starts screaming even if he is fed.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many brastfed babies *don't* eat while mom's gone. It's called reverse cycling and is FINE. If he SLEPT seven hours you'd be turning cartwheels, right? And he certainly won't eat then!

They don't starve themselves. When truly hungry they'll eat.

He *is* more than old enough for a soft-spout sippy. Have the caregiver remove the spill proof valve, and tip the cup; Baby sips the milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Have you tried being far away and have someone else give him a bottle? My son wouldn't take a bottle from me ever because he knew I had the goods, lol, but if I wasn't around he'd take a bottle from DH and from daycare...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• He will not take a bottle AT ALL! I was away from him for seven hours once due to continuing education classes and he would not take a bottle the whole time. He spent more than half the time I was away screaming and crying.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My oldest would never take a bottle either. I started her on solids and a cup.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My niece never took a bottle either... her mom would feed her before she went to work and then the rest of the time she was given baby food to keep her happy and then breastfeed again when she got home.
    Another thing that might work... you could watch a couple of other kids and make money that way, then you don't have to leave your son at all. You wouldn't make a ton, but it might be an option until your son is a little older and will take a sippy cup.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• my twins used dr. browns and still do and my son had acid reflux and it went away.
    nattie123

Answer by nattie123 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2009