Why do people say eating healthy is to expensive?

If you really look it is not that expensive.
I just spent about 15 bucks on enough food for about 6 suppers.
Yes it is eating the same thing 2 nights in a row but it is still healthy .
I even managed to find at VONS a 10 lbs bag of potats for 99 cents.
I looked al over VONS and got this stuff.
Safeway pasta sauce 1.99
safeway pinto beans 1.59 (1 lbs)
Safeway elbow mac 1.25
Oven joy wheat bread .99
Hillshire farm kielbasa 2 for 4.79
bell pepper 1.23
head of cabbage 1.54
and the 10 lbs bag of potatos .99
totaling at 14.37
I made gouloush ( had at home 1 lbs of meat and 1 onion) with potatos
Tonight is cabbage and keilbasa ( have cron bread mix at home) also having potatos
Night after tomorrow We will have pinto beans and corn bread.
6 nights of supper for 15 bucks.
Why do people say it is hard to eat healthy then when we eat healthy all the time and have very little extra

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The good thing about most healthy food is you can grow it yourself for next to nothing when compared to buying it. With square foot gardening and pots there really is no reason why everybody shouldnt be growing something. Making bread homemade even with organic products is still cheaper then buying it from the store. IMO the problem is not expense as much as it is trying to be fast. I can make spaghetti sauce for almost free with the ingredients in my garden, same with salsa, veggie stew, and veggie soup. These are whole meals for nothing. We spend money mostly on rice, beans, milk, cheese, and good organic/natural meat. We get by on very little money every month spent at the store on food just by having a garden and cooking from scratch.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• because a bag of grapes costs more than a bag of chips....
    Anonymous

• No they dont
    A bag of grapes here you can get for less than 3 bucks at some places and I even live in the middle of the desert.
    A bag of chips here are at least 5 - 6 bucks
    Noone said you needed a bag of grapes to eat healthly any ways .
    there are other ways to eat healthy .
    Try dumping the chips and snack cakes ,.
    gah no wonder america is the fatest country
    Anonymous

• because it is. back in the day produce was cheap cuz we didnt give a fuck, now everyone and their mom is trying to get healthy, so the fucks hick prices. look at healthy organic crap. its like a million dollars for a sip of milk. fuck that! id rather spent my 3 bucks on lowfat milk which is just as good and teach my children moderation and habitual excersise.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 7:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• A bag of apples costs just as much as a bag of chips, but you won't finish off a bag of apples in one sitting like some people do a bag of chips. Buying healthy doesn't always mean buying fresh veggies & fruits; if you know your nutrition then you know there are other ways to find vitamins, as in buying frozen veggies & fruits instead. Of course lean meats are healthier, but you can buy the cheap chicken leg 1/4's and remove the skin and fat yourself for a healthier alternative. I could go even cheaper than the OP on the spaghetti sauce: buy plain tomato sauce and add your own spices = pennies on the dollar spent for the stuff in the jar and literally takes less than a minute to do so. You eliminate a lot of preservative and other junk that way.
    I feed between 5 - 8 people every day depending on who is home, and I do it on less than $250 a month. We eat GREAT meals like wet burritos, roast chicken, pizza, fish, etc
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well lucky for you that they are cheaper where you are!! here a bag of grapes is $6-$7 on sale, and chips are $3.50.
    Gallon of milk - $4 2 leter of soda - $1.25
    oranges $0.75 each, a box of little debbies $1.30
    shrimp $6 lb is a great price, ground beef $3 lb
    ect ect ect
    Anonymous

• What exactly is your definition of a healthy meal?

Kielbasa isn't healthy because it's full of fat, salt & chemical preservatives. The elbow mac could be healthy if it isn't made of bleached white wheat flour, but at that price, it probably was. Cheap pasta sauces usually are loaded with sugar (high fructose corn syrup being one) and chemical preservatives, so not a very healthy choice either. All bread is wheat bread unless it specifically states otherwise, and if you want it to be a healthy wheat bread, it should say whole wheat or whole grain. You also need to check for high fructose corn syrup in that wheat bread, because I can just about guarantee you it's on the list of ingredients. Meats are only healthy if they are low-fat & free of added colors, flavors, antibiotics & hormones.

So, while you may have gotten your groceries cheap, they are not necessarily "healthy", even with the addition of the vegetables.
    Anonymous

• Dried beans and lentils are WAY cheaper than meat, and much healthier
    Water is free and is healthier than any other beverage.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I feed my family of 5 VERY healthy meals on about $125 a week. I know that's not super cheap but its the same amount we spent when we were eating whatever we wanted. lean ground turkey costs less than $3/lb, bags of frozen chicken breasts cost $2/lb. We do not eat red meat. We do eat a lot of dried beans. I make corn bread at home with whole wheat flour and unbleached flour, and we have bean soup and cornbread. Costs less than $5 per meal and it's good. Stay away from processed meats, they are full of fat and sodium. Buy corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas, they are cheaper and much healthier. For snacks we have low fat graham crackers, apples, celery with peanut butter (Simply Jif is a good one), and we make desserts at home from scratch once a week or so. We drink juice, 2% milk, water, and occasionally one packet of kool-aid, which makes one cup for each of us. We eat chicken stir fry a lot too with homemade sauce...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• that i make using 2 cups pineapple juice, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1 tbsp corn starch. Stir fry a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables with finely chopped chicken breast or thigh and serve over brown rice (or jasmine rice if you don't like brown). Make meat an accompaniment to your meal, not the main entree. A serving of meat is 3 ounces which is HALF of a chicken breast half. Not a full chicken breast half. Serve plenty of vegetables (you can buy frozen for around a dollar a bag). Don't buy canned, it contains WAY too much sodium. It's not expensive if you plan it out carefully. YOu don't have to buy the expensive fruits. Stick with apples, oranges, and bananas. Buy lots of sweet potatoes, squash, and even regular potatoes. They make inexpensive dinners.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2009