Why are so many people shocked that Chicago lost the 2016 games?

Really now people, who really thought they would win? Chicago is a far cry from a safe city anymore, unemployment is thru the roof and school kids are busy killing each other. Why in the hell should the games be played there? I live 8 hours from there and wouldn't waste my time going there but yet people are expected to come from half way across the world to go there? Anyway, how bout the weather where you're at, how is it?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 8:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well...on the safety standpoint Rio is certainly far WORSE. But no, I'm not at all surprised Chicago lost. I *was* surprised that Madrid stayed in the running so long, but Samaranch still has some pull and he favored Madrid.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I'd chose Rio too lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I think it is not so much that Chicago lost the games it is that the committee did not listen to our president as much as they thought would happen.
    Anonymous

• You know what its done its over with get past it.
    Anonymous

• I cant believe people are so upset. I mean, I honestly never knew how they picked the cities before this past week. I find it funny that so many people were so disappointed. I mean, if I understood right, it would've created jobs which of course would be great. But really....Its just Chicago.
    Anonymous

• I don't think we need to try to spend the money needed to put on the Olympics. It cost an enormous amount to get the city and surrounding areas presentable for the games. BO wanted the games so money would be spent to make his city bright, shiny, new and all at the public expense to make Chicago ready for the games.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Really now people, who really thought they would win?

The experts who actually make a living studying such things.
    Anonymous

• The US has lost Olympic bids many times. It's a big world out there folks, we are not gonna get it every time. Oh, well, maybe next time! I would have loved to see them in Chicago, I live in Minneapolis and I could have gone down there to see something.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• But really....Its just Chicago.

No, it's not. I brought this up earlier. They had facilities booked up on contingency for the games all the way out to where I live - I'm in Indiana half way across the state. They also had plans extending all the way to Milwaukee. And further downstate from Chicago. This wasn't for a city - it was a regional event, and between the tourism, construction and bringing in all the supplies needed to house, clean up after and feed all those people, it would've created a lot of jobs in a lot of industries that expand far beyond Lake Michigan. This was probably the ONLY successful job creation we'd see out of this administration, and it went to a city that has to close major roads around the airport to keep tourists from having their throats slit in their cabs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I am sure their choice had absolutely nothing to do with our President. ANd who cares where they have the Olympics? I sure don't.
    I am so tired of the anti-Obama posts. You guys are so nasty.....
    Anonymous