why would my milk supply just stop?

i have been breastfeeding for 3 weeks now, and my milk supply is slowly stopping.this is making me really mad.why would it do this, and how can make more. is there something i can take?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both answers r good. Just wanted to add:
    Pump after every feeding
    While feeding or pumping, do hand compressions
    Try mother's milk tea (I found it at whole foods) it has fenugreek (sp?)
    Drink non-alcoholic beer (I drank O'Douls) or oatmeal (yeast can help)
    Don't get down about it!! Don't give her a pacifier. Offer her the boob VERY OFTEN (the second she complains/cries)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Why do you say it's stopping? Are you not changing 6-8 dipes a day? That is the ONLY measure of a supply drop. The rest is merely supply regulation.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• depo and some birth controls slow it,stress not enough water liuids.offer ur breast every half hour to an hour. try pumping,if u need any advice u can im me,i sucsesfuly breastfed for 16months and my baby is just now weaning,going on 4 days now.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Fenugreek - 3 pills, 3x/day.
    Use a good dual-electric pump.

Pump after feedings until dry & then 5 min after that. Do this around the clock every 2-3 hrs whether your baby eats or not. Set an alarm if you have to.

Feed baby on demand.

Within 2 wks, you'll have more milk than you know what to do with --- you''ll be giving full feedings from the breast and be starting a supply in the freezer.

G'luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Oh yeah.. and warm compresses help, too ---- use a heating pad or spend a few min in a hot shower before feedings.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009