I just took a job as a live-in caregiver in a group home for disabled people...

I have no experience with this. They are low intellect, is what the lady said. Any advice as to what to expect or how to make them feel more comfortable with me? They are older but not old. Like middle aged I guess. There is a man and a woman.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You will have to expect them to have the intellect of a young child. Usually somewhere between the age of 5 and 10. I wish you luck. They can be stubborn and difficult to deal with on occasion. I volunteered to help with a home similar to this and it was a lot to handle.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Treat them with respect just like anyone else. It helps to have a sense of humor. I have worked with people with special needs my entire life and love it. It's "normal" people I have a problem with.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• WOW do you know them? I would never hire some one for such ajob with no experience?
    Anonymous

• You are living there 24/7? That's kinda cool. I have worked with developmentally disabled people for 8 years. I love it. Treat them like you would anyone else. Don't talk down to them, they are probably smarter than anyone has ever given them credit for! Be their friend not just their staff, especially since you're living there.

Good Luck and Have fun!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Just be yourself. TRY not to treat them like retarded 2 year old. Just be yourself and get to know them and you will soon discover each ones ability to communicate and level of mentality. I thought you had to be certified in special needs to get a job like that.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Patience and flexibility. And as others said don't talk down to them, treat them as you would anyone else, just with more patience.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I agree with a few posters here, be patient and talk and interact with them like you would your friends and family.

It does not take alot of experience to work with people in a home setting. You are more then likely helping them with time, and getting ready to go some where, to help them prepare meals, laundry...etc.

I would speak with the person whom hired you and ask what is their daily routines. Do they have CNA's that come help with bathing? Or can they do this well on their own? I am sure they already have a schedule and many have that down pat and just need that extra help and security.

Get in touch and find out.......good luck. To me it sounds like it will be a rewarding job!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 10:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• OP- thanks for all the advice. And I think they hired me with no experience bc I will only be alone with the 2 people at night. During the day they run a home office there are always others there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I have a child with autism, and the best advice I can give is to put the person FIRST , disabilityLAST! Give the same respect, care, and Understanding you would expect from someone else. Congratulations on the job, and best of luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009