so im getting scared now...about childbirth

Well im 34 and a half weeks pregnant
I have been content this whole pregnancy until lately
Its finally starting to settle in that I am going to be a mom, first time, My life will change, responsibilitis will change and oh yess...I will be giving birth..ahh

Im going for all natural, the pain of contractions doesnt scare me I just fear that the baby comming out will make me pass out or something...ugggh

Please women tell me some positives with childbirth, I know most women tear down there and it just seems so awful when I think about it...does adrenaline really take over???

Any positive child birth experiences would be nice to read right now, natural or not...just positive

thank you

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• MOST women don't tear. And you can limit your tearing by staying upright for delivery. It severely reduces occurence and severity of tears.

And yes, adrenaline really does take over. You will NOT pass out when your baby comes out! When you go all the way without pain medication you transcend time and space. For real. You lose track of time, where you are has little or no meaning to you. Your sole focus is getting the baby out. It's an incredible kind of high that only birthing women get to experience. Yes, it's painful. But it's amazing and wonderful too. Don't be scared. Women have done this since the beginning of time, and you have an incredble lineage of successfully birthing women behind you!

You can do it! I know it's scary, but the hardest part of becoming a mother is facing the fears you have for your child. You'll do great. PM me if you need to talk :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well my water broke at 34 weeks, they gave me steroids for his lungs, and they tried to induce me but my cervix wasnt dialating so i had to get a csection. it was a very positive experience because now i have my beautiful healthy son!! no matter how he had to get here. good luck with the whole natural thing lol, i would never do it and ive heard some horror stories so be open minded!! lol. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I promise you wont pass out from the pain of child birth. BILLIONS of women have been giving birth for thousands of years before good drugs and they survived it and so will you. Worrying does NO good and only stresses you and baby out. P.S. During labor if you change your mind, they WILL give you drugs dear. You can always change your mind.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• im 35 weeks and scared to DEATH lol i talked to my doc about tearing and she said they do a perineal (sp?) massage to try and keep it from tearing...i give you props for wanting to go all natural...im getting the epi lol GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The adrenaline does kick in a little. It hurts, I won't lie. But I can tell you that as soon as you hear YOUR baby cry and hold YOUR baby, you will forget it all. Afterwards, you will be soar, I mean really soar but it's not unbearable. Congrats and Good Luck!!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well, first it is only natural to be scared, specially the first time. I had my son all natural with no IV no med nothing! The adrenaline kicked in right about the time I started pushing. The contractions hurt, but nothing that wasnt bearable.... You just have to remember that the pain will stop and go away.... I didnt tear at all when i had my son and he was 5lbs 8 oz
    Anonymous

• With my first I didn't know I was in labor I thought they were BH contractions until they started coming every 5 minutes. I told dh and he convinced me to go to the hospital, so I showered and we were on our way, when we got there I was 6 centimeters dilated, my labor progressed extremely fast and dd was born in 29 minutes of active labor. It was the single most exciting moment of my life!

Good Luck!
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 9:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I had three natural births and they were really good experiences. Yes, it was painful, but it wasn't the kind of pain where you feel you are being damaged, if that makes any sense. I knew that this was my body working and I wasn't being hurt by the process. Afterwards I really felt like I was on a natural high- I felt like people must feel when the climb Mt Everest or something! I gained a really new respect for my body and what it is capable of. Ultimately it was a very, very empowering experience and I love thinking back about my birth experiences. I would do it again in heartbeat! HTH a bit- lots of luck with your new addition!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The two things I tell myself over and over any time I get pregnany are: "Billions of womens for thousand of years have done this. This baby is coming no matter what." It helps, and for me, being prepared always helps (baby's room set up, midwife local, etc).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I have 3 children, 7,9 and 17.. I can tell you that giving birth is the easiest thing you will do with this child. Raising them, getting up in the middle of the night, worrying about them and the decisions you made is harder than birth.

I was natural with my first and it was not bad at all, mine went really quick and easy. I didnt tear, they cut me just a bit but numb you before doing it. With proper guidance alot of women dont tear at all but I think that has alot to do with control of each contraction and easy pushing IDK... Try not to worry about the pain too much, it is not bad and if it gets to much for you to handle, it is ok to ask for something to take the edge off if you wish. Every labor is different.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2009