Why or why aren't you getting the swine flu shot?

Ive seen some postings stating that...I will not get the swine flu shot, neither will my kids.
Wouldnt everyone want to be protected? Or is there something I dont know about it?
I planned on getting my whole family in soon to get both flu shots. I guess I want to know the cons.

brikay1

Asked by brikay1 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• we arent getting it either. my daughters pediatrician who is fantastic and i trust him implicity when it comes to stuff like this said that it worries him that it is fasttracked and there isnt enough testing for his comfort, especially since there will not be any testing of possible adv erse reactions in children with suppressed immune systems or chronic disesases (asthma, diabetes, etc) i always get my kids the regular flu shot but im not about to put this stuff into my daughter without knowing more about it and possible side effects in my daughter. I trust my doctor and he said he wont be giving this to his children and he firmly recommends against me getting it for my kids so thats our reason!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 2:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I will not, for one my hospital wont give it to any one who is pregnant
    and also, I have never gotten a flu shot ever

I know the swine flu is bad because its this intense flu but just like chicken pox im sticking it out
    plus the shot can give you the flu if your immune system isnt strong enough to have it so its not smart for children to get vaccinated
    Anonymous

• I think ppl say that b/c they are scared of something so new...that's the reason my landlord gave anyway. she's in healthcare...& if it scares her, then well, that kinda turns me off from it too. I'm still undecided tho. My daughters daycare is providing it for free to the kids, & cheap for the parents. My fiance's work provides both for him, but he's undecided as well. We live in GermX now, so idk. Lol
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Its too new for me. I would like to know the long term side effects of it first before I inject it into my son. I do not know if I would get it myself. Maybe only if it breaks out at my college, I wouldnt want to bring the flu home to him. But still I probably would not. I just do not know the long term effects of it. And, honestly, it kind of reminds me of I Am Legend, when everyone takes the cancer vaccine I believe it is? but then after a couple years they realize the extremely bad side effects which caused all the people to become mutants or something. Yeah, idk, but thats what I think of when I think of the H1N1.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• because i hate waiting in hospitals ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I will be getting it because I work in a hospital program in NY and the STATE HAS MANDATED that everyone in health care get the regular and swine flu shot or loose their job! I am not in the hospital, but in a different building for outpatients with behavior health issues and we still HAVE to get them because we work for the hospital!
    Anonymous

• I won't get near that vaccine.
    It's too new. There's not enough testing. The don't know the long term affects. It contains squalene (same thing that caused Gulf War Syndrome). Reputable doctors have told me that the Swine Flu is not as serious as the media is making it out to be. No one I know in the medical field will get this vaccine and that speaks volumes to me.
    Anonymous

• Just because you get the vaccination doesn't mean you won't get the virus.

The reason I won't be getting along for myself nor my son is because it's far too new and quite frankly pointless to me. My 4 year old currently has swine flu and from what i've seen so far it isn't any worse than regular flu. Infact he has been out worse with just the "regular" flu than he has with this.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• None of us have ever had any flu shots. There's really no point in pumping chemicals into our bodies without a benefit that outweighs the risk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• People are panicking because the vaccine was "developed" so quickly.  I put developed in quotes because this isn't a technique that is producing this vaccine.  Every year there are new strains of flu and a vaccine is produced to match the particular virus.  That is all that has happened here. 

If the H1N1 vaccine is available and there is enough for the high risk groups and the general population then I will get it in addition to the regular flu shot.  My husband has already gotten his seasonal shot.  I will be making an appointment for the children and myself soon.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2009