How can I get my one year old to NOT take a bottle right before bed?

I gave him one tonight b/c I wanted to ask on here and he was bawling. I gave him one an hour before bed and then he wanted another. He isn't eating very much for some reason, and I don't know what to do to get him to eat more and not take a bottle!!! I'm really frustrated. He keeps wetting through his diapers at night and we will probably get bigger ones for night time anyway (and start potty training after we get back from Thanksgiving out of state!), but the big thing is the bottle. I don't know what to do to wean him off!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well...here's a couple things. first, one year old is too young to start potty training. 3 is average and boys tend to take longer. if you google "signs to start potty training" you'll get all the info about when your LO is ready to increase your chance for success. Anyway- I would switch to sippies if I were you. I got DD off bottles around one year but just only offering her sippies. At first she liked the soft tops, but now she wants hard so try a few types and see what works. Don't give in no matter what- I would honestly say DD only cried for a week tops when we switched and only occasionally. I would also only offer one right before bed. Maybe only half full? Its probably just for emotional comfort anyway. DD rarely drinks her milk at night now at 18m. Maybe thats just her but hopefully the other stuff is helpful! He most likely isn't eating because he's getting too many liquids.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• he shows all the signs to be ready for potty training... he could probably do just fine right now, he even bangs on the bathroom door right after he goes in his diaper... as if maybe he couldn't get there fast enough, and if we can get there in time, he will use the potty.

the thing is he refuses to take a sippy with milk... like he just won't rink it... do i just have to figure, "when he gets thirsty enough he will drink it?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• My DD is 14 months and had been completely off the bottle since 12 months. My daughter was hesitant at first, but eventually ofter it was her only option she started drinking out of it!
    AudreysMommy798

Answer by AudreysMommy798 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2009